The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

morning sun / lowlight plants

heya guys, Im moving soon to wollongong and the property im renting will only have a balcony exposed to morning sun.

besides the usual herbs etc I can grow, how will other ethno species fair?

I have some Sceletium cuttings on the way, and my salvia splendens should do well. My cactus' will love it out there too, I just hope that the afternoon ambient light will be enough to keep em going!

im always keen on expanding my collection so feel free to suggest plants that youve had success with in similar situations! i did a search and read the first page of posts but apart from the edible herbs, savlias and cactus didnt see much else

d00d

Not a silly question at all. It should be more-so about ethno-plants that can be grown on the balcony. Cacti are obviously the first choice. But I would also like to know as well. How big is the balcony you're going to live on. Well not live on, garden on?

i did specify ethno plants in my post but maybe i should change the topic title too!

hmm the balcony, well its not even a private one actually :-) more one of those long ones that runs across the front of everyones entrances... I plan on being the old nanna in the complex with her nice collection out the front haha. I guess each plant can be 3 foot tall and a foot or so circumference. I plan on getting a cool little greenhouse to go in near my kitchen to house the herbs/salvias, and everything else will need to be jammed into a 1x1 grow tent. not ideal but I'll make do.

I plan on doing an experiment in the tent, putting out some rustica, dagga, exotic chillis, my larger cacti, and a few others yet to be decided upon and growing them out through a "real grow cycle" and seeing how they far. this is pretty much my only option. of coarse the staple veg/herbs that you should never have to buy will be incorporated, im currently working on hanging designs to go around the inside of the tent to utilize light and free space hanging around and below the lights. who knows i might even get the 1x1 tent space to a 1.5m usable growing area, ill be closely monitoring hehe :)

d00d

Edited by thed00dabides

Ooo... sexy greenhouse pics please! Or when you've got yourself ready I would really like to see how you use you space. Also are there divider-type walls in between each balcony?

no its completely free running. obviously i have what i wanna grow covered in the tent, just hoping for a few new species to add and utilize the small amount of natural light/balcony available...

yeh i will defiantly start a grow log thread when i am settled in. I have been dreaming about different ways of setting up the tent... it will end up being a hybrid of :

dark-room-dr-120-grow-tent-mk2-419-p.jpg

AND

vertical-herb-garden-shoe-cloth.jpg

any solutions and suggestions encouraged :)

d00d