The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
woof woof woof

How to store hydrogen or HHO?

Hi guys,... been looking on the web. Didnt see much on that subject.

I will keep looking of course. Maybe I can run a generator on HHO that I stored, that I make with a small solar panel.

Why store energy in LEAD batteries? Lead pollutes too much in my opinion.

And how can I make a compressor out of a electric car pump to do the filling.

Safe storing the propane tank ideas?

Just playing with ideas.

Hi Woof,

I like the idea of storing your own hydrogen.. something I want to play with one day.

There are two things I know of which can be a problem... I'm pretty sure that storing hydrogen and oxygen under pressure is quite dangerous, so the two really need to be seperated. I dont know the exact pressure at which it becomes liable to ignite?

There is also hydrogen embrittlement of some types of steel but you just need to make sure the type of material your equipment is made of is not susceptable.

As for compressing the gas, any standard piston compressor or screw compressor will work, as long as it's not going to ignite the gas.. eg if you used a compressor powered by a standard dc motor with brushes it will provide an ignition source to leaking gas. A project I would definately play with outside with plenty of ventilation!

But anyway, to answer your question I was thinking of using an old air compressor (tradesman type with air tank) and feeding the hydrogen direct in the air intake. You would also need a pressure switch on the intake side to turn off the compressor when it starts to pull a vacuum. The same on the pressure side to switch off when tank is full. You'd also need some type of high pressure release on the intake and outlet side as a safety precaution.

I realise this is highly dangerous so please anyone dont attempt this at home!!!! unless you're prepared for a few explosions!!

Edited by Coquero

Coquero,.... thanks for your awesome reply man.

Your answer about the compressor is xactly what I was thinking. Maybe modify one of those small car plug in compressors. Depending on the scale of things. Of course some serious calculations for the viability would be necessary. I want to invest in greener ways to power,... but the cost musnt be too much.

And yes,... I knew storing HHO wasnt the smartest thing to do. Unless you like BOOM!

Explosions. The idea was to make an underground storage for the tank(s)

Thx again. Hope some over here will have more awesomeness to add to this tread.