The Corroboree
Evil Genius

"How to collect seeds of Common Plants"-Thread

Hu Guys, i just realised we could use some kind of an Archive Thread on how to collect seeds of some certain plants because it sometimes isnt that obvious how the seeds look like and where to find them. Not even talking about how to recognize when they are ripe. Most plants in my garden are in their flowering stage right now and i´ll use this thread to post some pics of the seed-collecting process later on. It would be great if some of you could do the same to make sure we have a thread thats accessible and where people can go to if they want to find out how to collect the desireable seeds. That would be "Win". :wub: bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

yeah this a great idea, im particularly interested in how to collect damiana(Turnera diffusa) seeds, im kinda dumb about this plant and the flowers are tiny, is there a seed in them? or do they need pollination?

I pulled a flower apart and think i may have found the seed,but im not to sure!

Anyone with some help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Excellent idea

Sida sp. seeds:

Allow the seed pods to dry as they have an opening at the superior part of the pod.

Pinch the pod between two fingers and pull it off. The seeds are of a quite interesting appearance and have two needle like heads similar to Tribulus terrestris although a lot smaller and softer.

I have seen these pop up everywhere, mainly in dry nutrient poor soil and flower all times of the year.

Heimia seeds:

Smaller than poppy seeds, these are difficult to collect although are abundant in pods.

Like Sida, their pods are small with superior openings and should be pinched off and placed on a surface before tearing into pod to collect seeds. i find it easier to separate the debris from the seeds than the seeds from the debris :)

Havent had much luck with cutting prop however i've heard it is quite easy.

Feel free to comment to add further information or to edit current.

Thanks

• Like 1

Irie,

I collect a lot of seeds!

So let's start with;

Mimosa Hostilis seeds:

About 6-8 wks after flowering, seed pods start drying & are ready to harvest!

Now hostilis is a BITCH with thorns....gloves & a hardhat might be a good idea...

I have my trees over hanging the house so seeds are easier to collect by climbing on the roof.

But it's a good time to prune back & shape-up anyway.

Collect seeds once they are browning or yellow going on brown.

I then place seedpods in large calabash bowls to dry off..

Run your finger down the pods like popping peas....

Let seeds dry till brown/black.

Shake seeds to the bottom of the bash. The chaff rises to the top & seeds to the bottom.

Take majority of chaff by hand, leaving mostly seeds with some chaff in the bottom of the bash.

Then take bash outside & toss & blow the chaff till you are left with just seeds + some dust.

I then sieve the dust out before putting in storage bags..

Interestingly enough, during the popping peas process, trichome's collect on the fingers, which when scraped off looks like hash!!

I'll have to investigate it further.

Respect,

Z

Edited by Zaka