The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spong

Loph trick chimera?

I tried to graft a loph seedling (they're quite old now, probably a year or two) to a trich, I wanted the scion to remain as a single head and I'd heard that grafting closer to the top helps this and stops it forming offsets. As soon as it took I noticed a weird hard bit in the meristem of the scion. I thought it was flowering at first but it kept growing out into this.

imag0181f.th.jpg

imag0182v.th.jpg

imag0183t.th.jpg

Sorry about the bad photos, my phone camera doesn't like focusing on objects close to it.

Is it possible that this is a chimera of the two plants or is it just a weird mutation that resulted from me cutting a bit too high up on the scion? The texture of the new growth isn't as scaly as the loph normally is.

Could be, I've never heard of a loph/trich chimera

Looks like its just pupping out of an areole in the center though? The white fluff (should really learn the proper term) around the edge of the new growth makes me think this.

Maybe the apical meristem was damaged

Loph grafts usually feel quite firm compared to own roots plants.

Edited by centipede

This has happened to a few of my grafts aswell, I think its caused by cutting through the growing point when the graft was made.

This has happened to a few of my grafts aswell, I think its caused by cutting through the growing point when the graft was made.

Ahh damn, here I was trying to graft it so I'd get one nice healthy head and instead I'll have either a clump of pups arising from that center or a new top forming there. Oh well, I'll pluck off any offsets and force it into growing as one head if worst comes to worst.