The Corroboree
CβL

2 Acacia IDs

Hello everyone. :)

I took these photos a while ago, and just didn't upload until now. I hope someone can help me positively ID them. I have more photos as well, such as a juvenile specimen with different shaped leaves of the first plant. And more leaf shots of the second. Unfortunately none were in flower.

The first species was found growing amongst gum trees on a grassy slope. The photos are from various trees, as there were a few. I suspect melanoxylon:

backlit.jpg

barkv.jpg

fruitorsomething.jpg

leafsb.jpg

This next tree was found in a large neglected forested area. I suspect longifolia:

leaf1g.jpg

bark.jpg

buds1.jpg

venation.jpg

I'm new to this but this species "found growing amongst gum trees on a grassy slope", would that by chance be Mount Buffalo in Victoria? Haha. Looks a lot like the poor old Acacia phlebophylla to me! :drool2: Don't hurt it - help it.

The 3rd photograph looks like Acacia pycnantha (Golden Wattle) though I find so many to look similar so I'm hardly confident.

Of the other; I agree with your Acacia longifolia suspicion but could it also be Acacia maidenii?

Best of luck getting these identified - someone will come along soon and show how inaccurate my attempt at assistance was :wink:.

Can I have your permission to re-post these on my in-development plant identification website?

Edited by Blood Trance Fusion

saw a fucking heap of acacia's when i was up your end of the country last. kicking myself for not taking cuttings.

there dont seem to be many down here :(

sorry i cant help with the I.D

These are from New Zealand, and as far as I know, there aren't any phlebos growing wildly (as much as I'd love there to be haha).

Although the second Acacia had the capacity to produce long, strappy leaves like a Maidenii, they were not the norm and there was only a few. I have seen other trees growing a couple of kilometres away that were almost certainly longifolia (bright yellow flowers), so I think it's more likely that this plant is a longifolia too. Also, you may use these photos for your project. :)

Here are more photos of the 2nd Acacia:

fol1.jpg

24762880.jpg

ll1y.jpg

Edited by bluntmuffin

If you want cuttings centipede, I can give you the first one (although I'm quite sure it's inactive), and the second one isn't too hard for me to get more of either. :)

I have a feeling I might know where some Maideniis are, but it's not that nearby. If I ever make it there and find 'em, I'll collect many cuttings, then I'll spread them around.

Cuttings for identification purposes or attempted rooting? I do have lots of seeds as I was planning to sustainibly-farm them instead of Acacia obtusifolia as I'm having trouble sourcing obtusis but growing takes so long that I'll just wait. I'm happy to post a few seeds for nix, centipede. If you have any obtusifolia seed/lings, I'd give a very generous trade (10:1) or price... really so desperate! :unsure:

Thanks for the piccies, bluntmuffin!

Edited by Blood Trance Fusion

If I find maideniis, then it would be for growth. But I think it's going to be impossible to get them to Australia. Biosecurity is sooooo tight on both sides. I have seen damn plants for sale too in NZ, but then that website went down. :(

nah thats all good man i have seeds of some species. i was just bitching :rolleyes:

blood trance fusion i might be able to help you out, PMd

That's a good point. Especially natives. I believe it's wholly illegal on this side to export them. Speaking of...want seeds?!?! :lol: You know people get seeds of properly illegal (some kid called Mary or something) plants through the post...

hi,

austrahort has some seeds of a. obtusifolia

www.austrahort.com.au/vmchk/acacia-/acacia-obtusifolia/detailed-product-flyer

not sure what they're like as a vendor though

They've been out of stock for a long time. I tried contacting them ages ago about if/when they'd get it back but never heard back. They are available at Herbalistics though. Someone on here helped me get many-fold more than my germination-capacity so I'm "struggling" with an overload now! B)

They've been out of stock for a long time. I tried contacting them ages ago about if/when they'd get it back but never heard back. They are available at Herbalistics though. Someone on here helped me get many-fold more than my germination-capacity so I'm "struggling" with an overload now! B)

you need to offload I have just the 10 acres you are looking for....cool.gif