The Corroboree
mutant

Old Cereus peruvianus mostrosas

This is the first of a series of photoshots of some old Cereus peruv monstrosas in my town I have promised in the past.

The house and garden is evacuated and turnt semiwild. This is probably the biggest and maybe heigher cacti I have in mind in different spots round my town.

P1010517.jpg

the heigh of woodification is amazing. check the previous photo too

P1010518.jpg

there's a fruit! Too high to reach it

P1010519.jpg

and here's a nice crestation up in some tip!

P1010520.jpg

• Like 1

THANK YOU :worship:

Look at the base/trunk!!!

good that there is a car in first shot for size comparison

edit: in that last photo it looks like one part is turning into a crest

Edited by centipede

Case two: these cacti have thrown lots of regular growth. Their bases were not exposed. These plants are flowering plants too

P1010529.jpg

P1010528.jpg

P1010530.jpg

case three:

another . nice trunk

P1010525.jpg

P1010527.jpg

case four, one of the largest again, it's the plant I took the fruit of this thread . Again it's an abandoned house

P1010521.jpg

nice trunk

P1010523.jpg

more cresting tendencies on this one

P1010522.jpg

P1010524.jpg

so far conclusion is that abandoned houses have the best and oldest. chances are that if someone rented or bought the place he would cut the cactus.

• Like 1

That last cactus is a national treasure for Greece and must be protected, how old would they be do ya reckon mutant? 80 years?

how old would they be do ya reckon mutant? 80 years?

Nah, no way its that old unless it grew, fell over, rotted and shot up from chunks that didnt rot away and did all this a number of times. Id say it be 20-25 years old or so give or take a few. That said i got no idea of the climate there so the assumption is made it is growing how it would in an area/climate im accustomed to.

I think the first plant is much older, larger and more impressive than last one.

Plants like this can be pruned, as long as they have a caretaker, especially in height, if they're considered a danger. That's why I think the best/biggest ones are located in adandoned properties.

I think PD might be more according to tell the age estimation, I would say at least 30 years old for the first plant, but I haven't really had the hots for growing this too common plant, so dunno really its growth rate. Given it's monstrosa, and potential pruning, PD numbers might be a bit on the low side.

We sure got a fine climate for them [skip the frost/snow thread, it doesn't ever happen in the city where elevation =0

Given it's monstrosa, and potential pruning, PD numbers might be a bit on the low side.

Very true.

Myself, like you mutant, havent really got the hots for growin this one either. I do have a couple of specimens but they are in pots and get no care whatsoever, they only get water when it rains.

that's not a bad thread to bump.

this cereus, from seed, seems to grow considerably faster than the fast trichocerei.

P1090177.jpg

upload photos

P1090163.jpg

photo storage

• Like 1