The Corroboree
Yeti101

Heliopsis longipes - Gold Root

I just read an article on Heliopsis longipes - Gold Root.

Here's the abstract. If you want the full article, let me know.

HELIOPSIS LONGIPES is used as analgesic in Mexican traditional medicine. The present study assesses the possible antinociceptive effect of HELIOPSIS LONGIPES and describes the pharmacological mechanism of action of the antinociceptive effect of affinin, identified as the one active principle in HELIOPSIS LONGIPES acetone extract. Intraperitoneal administration of H. LONGIPES extract and affinin produced a dose-dependent antinociceptive effect when assessed in mice submitted to acetic acid and capsaicin tests. Affinin-induced antinociception (30 mg/kg, I. P.) was blocked by naltrexone (1 mg/kg, S. C.), P-chlorophenylalanine (80 mg/kg, I. P.) and flumazenil (5 mg/kg, S. C.) suggesting that its pharmacological effect could be due to the activation of opiodergic, serotoninergic and GABAergic systems. In addition, the antinociceptive effect of affinin was attenuated by pretreatment with 1 H-[1,2,4]oxadiazolo[1,2- A]quinoxalin-1-one (1 mg/kg, S. C.) and glibenclamide (10 mg/kg, S. C.) suggesting that the nitric oxide-K + channels pathway could be involved in its mechanism of action. These results suggest that affinin itself or its derivatives may have potential antinociceptive effects.
"Antinociceptive Effect of Heliopsis longipes Extract and Affinin in Mice", Déciga-Campos Myrna; Rios María Yolanda; Aguilar-Guadarrama A. Berenice, Planta Medica, 2010, vol. 76, no07, pp. 665-670.

Long story short: If I'm reading this right, this seems to have a (possible) bunch of different actions that contribute to it's analgesic or antinociceptive effect. The effect is blocked by naltexone - so it hits opioid receptors, which is always interesting. But it is also acting on serotonin and GABA systems. This would have to be worth a second look, especially for those lurking on this forum who have issues with chronic pain.

Pain-reducing properties aside, the active also appears to be bacteriostatic an fungicidal. I also read that it causes a pleasant tingling sensation when the root is chewed, which then can be transferred to other body parts :innocent_n:

I haven't had much luck in finding out much on it's traditional use, though I note it appears in one of Teotz's 'master' lits. If anyone has any info I'd love to hear it. If any of the more common Heliopsis species have similar uses that would be cool too.

sounds pretty sweet. i want some :) looking into it now

edit: so it's a bit hard to find... lol. It would be interesting if the more common ones have any similar fx...

Edited by meanies

Heliopsis helianthoides is more common - used to reduce fevers, and for lung troubles to loosen phlem. Which is fantastic, but not quite as exciting as the more rare one.

I also read that it causes a pleasant tingling sensation when the root is chewed, which then can be transferred to other body parts :innocent_n:

....Interesting.

Do you have the full article? I would love a looks, There is also reference to that in "Journal of Ethnopharmacology".

Traditionally it was used used as analgesic in pain toothache.

Edited by vual