The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ref1ect1ons

Irrigation

Ok so I want to make a cup-like (cuppish) instrument that will water my plants while I go away for a week or two, perhaps they will surive without me but I would also like to know for the future and because I want to keep my garden happy.

So I went to search google, but what would you call this thing. So then decided to put it on you guys like the lazy person I may be.

So yeah, how can I set up a very basic irrigation system indoors/outdoors, or in a shed, that will sit next to a potted plant and seep droplets of water every so often. I dont want it too be going slow and come home with a flooded mess.

I suspect this may be much easier than I expect but I have no experience and have done no experimentation. So please share with me your insights...

Diagrams would be awesome.

Back when I had the space and the motivation to do a lot of propagation I would have loved to try set up a basic small scale micro mist system...I doubt I'd even need a pump for that.. though irrigation wasn't something that I gave a fuck about when I had to study a module of it so that info definitely didn't stick, and I was constantly in my grow shed propagating and tending the trays and tubes daily.

All I can think of when you mention 'cup like instrument' for dripping is basically the standard button dripper:

91225_product.jpg

...but I assume you're talking about something you make yourself???

Basically if you wanna set up a drip irrigation set up for the long term I'll salute you for the effort, but I don't really see the need in doing so if it's only necessary for two weeks and you don't have many pots needing watering.. in which case go the cool link nabraxas posted will do you fine.

However if you have a lot of pots and you're away from home it's pretty cheap and easy to set up a basic drip system at home. The advantage of drip set ups like the one I'm mentioning is that you don't require a pump system as such to my knowledge.

An example of a small home kit would is:

90764_demonstration_image_drip_kit.jpg

By memory all you need to do is basically have the tap connected to a pressure reducer using an adaptor, and into another adapter which runs connects to the line... along the line are your inline drippers that you've connected. All pretty simple :). If you're running from rain water tanks you will probably need an in-line filter as well so particles don't clog the line and drippers.

This set up would be very easy to assemble and disassemble at will.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

i have sometimes used those 20l squarish (camping) plastic containers, with the plastic tap fitted for this purpose.

it's amazing how well one can adjust the slow delivery of water drip by drip, with even simple setups.

i would always, use excisting materials as much as possible...

to caliberate your system, just collect the drips in a container and adjust the taps/valves accordingly.

but somehow, i would always prefer a plant sitter over a diy setup, when it comes to give water to my prized possesions.

as for misting as it got mentioned, one could utelise one of those, schauberger micro centrifugal jets or what ever they are called.

• Like 1

excellent thread. 3 years in gardening has taught me this: when the number of plants is too big, especially the plants/climbers on my hot roof, you can never water them enough, heck you cannot water them every fucking day by hand.

Slower, dripping-type of watering should be the fucking solution.

I have a succulent setup outside which I water now and then [not so close to home], last time I did my first experimental drip/drop-tube and I forgot it on for 3-4 days. When I went all the succulent patch plus a strawberry I have there were revitalized and great!

anyways, just bumped in the thread to remember for future reference

I had a flood, and had to search again, this time I found some really nice set-ups.

The two pictured allow you to adjust the watering times and hence amounts for a number of plants. Reservoirs should last more than a week.

203362948d.jpg <$40US

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203362948&pnr=24R&cm_mmc=Shopping-_-ShoppingCom-_-24R-_-product

455644373066554649306e79736a696a476641-149x149-0-0.jpg?p=FkrOpoDJ7I&a=1&c=1&l=3057561&t=11%2F01%2F10%2009%3A32%3A46%20AM&r=5&d=99.95&rt=mr <$100US

http://www4.shopping.com/automatic-plant-watering/products <<<much more at this site, from wicks ($15US), and water bulbs to more exotic devices.

I only listed prices to give an idea, I will not be buying from or advertising the site as I'm going to source locally.

Some Capillary Setups.

watertray.jpg

You need a tray of water and something to hold the cloth up, with the edges in the reservoir. The plant sits on the cloth.

Here are two good diagrams which will allow you to make your own, from http://www.gardeners.com/APS-Parts/APS_Cat

apse.jpg

Ebb and flow is a capillary material, should be at bunnings etc.

productthumbphp.jpg

TIP: Use a plastic pot for the plant, they have more holes, and because the plastic is thin, the soil will make contact with the capillary mat, this is important for this system to work.

Wick will be the easiest for most.

Use a water friendly material with good pull. Wet to start wicking, put one end half way in soil and the other end has to reach the bottom of a reservoir, which sits lower than the plant.

pavioing.jpg

TIP: If using this system, it may be necessary to use clear tubing, put the cord inside the tubing, this will improve it's pull, and allow it to sit in the reservoir better.

Another popular way to do this is to have the smaller pot in a larger pot, the larger pot acting as a reservoir with the wick going from the bottom pot, through the drainage hole and into the soil a fair way.

Wick21-300x263.jpg

You can make a soda bottle drip irrigation system that can be used indoors or outdoors, it can last up-to a week.

push-soil-around-bottle-to-secure-it.jpg

There is a step-by-step here: http://www.veggiegardener.com/watering-tomatoes-using-2-liter-sod-bottle/

Finally here is a link for a hanging baskets setup which incorporates wicks and tubing, very nice just to see how he has managed to do it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Upside-Down-Hanging-Self-Watering-Earth-Filled-Box/

Edited by ref1ect1ons