The Corroboree
internettoughguy

40y/o cactus unknown ID

Question

Hi! My grandmother passed away and I have become in charge of looking after her beloved cacti. Unfortunately none of us know what it is. Coming in possession of this cactus has inspired me to start up my own cacti garden and this will be the leading piece.

If someone could help me identify it I would be greatly appreciated! My mother says that it is roughly 40 years old but that is all we know about it, any information about it's species and what i need to know to look after it would be greatly apprecaited. it looks like it might need to be moved into a bigger pot or into the ground now, there is roughly 7 parts growing with some baby ones down below which i tried to snap a photo of, it's about 1.5m tall.

16122009092.jpg

16122009091.jpg

16122009090.jpg

16122009089.jpg

16122009088.jpg

Edited by internettoughguy

what about cracking the bottom off the pot then sitting it in another massive pot with nutrient deficient sandysoil??

just for a bit more root growth definately if your gona do it dont do it in winter with uncontrolable watering

but yeah maybe not neccesary

I wouldn't do a thing with it at all. If its gone that long without a pot change, looks that good and flowers, then it is perfect. I can assure you, that soil was nutrient deficient decades ago and the plant seems supremely happy. If you repot with nutrients you may either shock it pretty bad, or else cause growth change that well, makes some imperfection in growth. Hell, you may even care for it too much and ruin the soil by making it tend towards retaining too much water. Leave it alone for another 40 years.

Couldnt agree more.

Hey guys! Thought i'd update this post :)

It's almost been a year now, I haven't repotted it or done anything to shock it. I've been hesitant about it, it's been on the front of my mind every time I go out and see it but seeing how much growth it has had in the last 11 months, it seems like it's not too unhappy!

As you can see, there has been a huge amount of growth in the las 11 months! and the flowers are vibrant and beautiful :) A wonderful christmas present for me

This was the first flower of the season,

cactus3-1.jpg

cactus1-1.jpg

And now this is it's full flower :)

cactus2-2.jpg

cactus1-2.jpg

sorry for the shitty phone camera photos :P

Thanks for update! This is a faboulous plant! You did the right thing ;)

Great photos too!