The Corroboree
rahli

Self degraft

Cool another pic!

I've only ever seen lophs with that fresh green skin, what age was it when it started to get that elephant skin look? You probably don't remember, I'm just curious :)

No I'm not too sure Harry.

I just looked through my photos and found that the graft was made around the beginning of July 2008. She has been grown in the full sun and weather her whole life. This may have something to do with her Elephant looking skin.

The only other pic I have of her was taken mid January 2010.

post-3173-129141871975_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

that is one sexy loph rahli :drool2:

Calloused off and laid down ready for rooting.

post-3173-129215427226_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice updates, looking good!

at the time this thread was popular, i had no lophs to care for, but this has changed now, and i had to regraft a few lophs recently which fell off the rotting peres...

but now, for the first time, i started re rooting 6cm and plus, loph buttons.

one twin loph, i had to seperate and i regrafted one of them, and re rooted the other, so this will maybe produce some interressting insights into speed of growth, comparing re graft vs re rooting.

i use a boxcutter with the tip of the blade grinded into a round tip, to cut out, and scrape out all the rotting tissue.

than i wash the button with water, and (semi) sterilize the boxcutter with metho, and scrape and cut again, but just a thinlayer. this will make sure all the nasy rot has been removed.

than i let the cut surface calluse, but i don't turn the loph upside down as some people suggest, but rather dry it on top of a concave stone or kitchen sieve or anything which will allowe perfect air circulation around the surface to be callused.

turning lophs upside down, will confuse the root development!!

with my lophs i saw small roots appearing after, i guess only 3 weeks, once i noticed them, i placed the button onto a very friable medium, well let's hope it works.

i think it's very importabt to check the grafts often, because if you overlook a self degraft for a while (which can happen easely un noticed, the loph just doesn't fall off) orange rot and other rot's would have settled in already.

Hey Planthelper, good advice on not turning the button upside down to callus. From experience the less you stall the rooting and growth the better.

Would be good hear how the twin buttons progress on their separate paths.

I lost one of my big buttons to rot during the monsoon as I was stuck with family responsibilities away from home at the time and couldn't keep a close eye on it.

I'm currently away from home for around six months but I'm told the other degrafts are during fine inside their dry house. I guess I'll find out for sure in a few months.