The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DarkSpark

Some local plants i need id'd

Well there are shitloads of really cool looking plants growing around the area near mine and i am finding it hard to identify them for the most part. There was quite a few which looked like acacias but i found a few rather fascinating ones, there is one plant growing which looks like some of the larger trees but is growing almost like a ground-cover, quite fascinating, got many seeds off it would like to try and get an id, i can get close up shots of the seeds/seed pods if necessary. i looked up a few and from the look of the seeds/seed pods as well as phyllodes i sort of think MAYBE acacia fimbriata.

th_116_0078.jpg

Also i have a crapload of poinciana seeds iu am going to germ shortly (my fave plant pretty much, love the flowers and leaf structure) though from what i have heard upto 10 years until they flower :( but never the less i am going to germ around 50 seeds had about 75% strike rate last time with them and gave away seedlings to friends for their yards etc as well as using a few in my landscaping company, i sprout my own plants and plant out gardens with them where possible as a "cost effective garden refurbishment" as opposed to completely re-doing it i tidy up whats there and add a few bits and pieces too make it like new.

here is another one i found, has really cool looking leaves, it is sort of reminiscent of an acacia phlebophylla although i may be wrong, i found a large tree which has had a small grassfire around it and now heaps of babies coming through.

th_116_0075.jpg

have heaps more, but for some reason our internet wont let me upload pics properly. takes like 20 tries per picture :'(

anyways got a few more up found this one, has similar structure to a plant i saw at bunnings, forgot the name though... leaves are almost furry its wierd and cool. i just love the colour.

th_116_0083.jpg

another random shot of something i found.

th_116_0077.jpg

Edited by DarkSpark

Hi DarkSpark

The first one looks like Acacia suaveolens. If it is, each phyllode should have a clear mid-vein - but that isn't clear to me on the photo.

The third could be Acacia podalyriifolia or Acacia jucunda if it's an acacia. Check to see if it has a pulvinus (a short yellowish or orangeish wrinkled structure attaching the phyllode to the branch) as opposed to a petiole.

The fourth could be Acacia cincinnata or Acacia leiocalyx ssp. leiocalyx.

In all cases clear macro shots of the pods, seeds and/or phyllodes would make for firmer identifications.

Cheers

Edited by cristop

Well there are shitloads of really cool looking plants growing around the area near mine and i am finding it hard to identify them for the most part. There was quite a few which looked like acacias but i found a few rather fascinating ones, there is one plant growing which looks like some of the larger trees but is growing almost like a ground-cover, quite fascinating, got many seeds off it would like to try and get an id, i can get close up shots of the seeds/seed pods if necessary. i looked up a few and from the look of the seeds/seed pods as well as phyllodes i sort of think MAYBE acacia fimbriata.

th_116_0078.jpg

Also i have a crapload of poinciana seeds iu am going to germ shortly (my fave plant pretty much, love the flowers and leaf structure) though from what i have heard upto 10 years until they flower :( but never the less i am going to germ around 50 seeds had about 75% strike rate last time with them and gave away seedlings to friends for their yards etc as well as using a few in my landscaping company, i sprout my own plants and plant out gardens with them where possible as a "cost effective garden refurbishment" as opposed to completely re-doing it i tidy up whats there and add a few bits and pieces too make it like new.

here is another one i found, has really cool looking leaves, it is sort of reminiscent of an acacia phlebophylla although i may be wrong, i found a large tree which has had a small grassfire around it and now heaps of babies coming through.

th_116_0075.jpg

have heaps more, but for some reason our internet wont let me upload pics properly. takes like 20 tries per picture :'(

anyways got a few more up found this one, has similar structure to a plant i saw at bunnings, forgot the name though... leaves are almost furry its wierd and cool. i just love the colour.

th_116_0083.jpg

another random shot of something i found.

th_116_0077.jpg

The second could be Acacia aulacocarpa or Acacia leiocalyx ssp. leiocalyx.

hi, pretty sure the second one is Acacia leocalyx ssp. leiocalyx, reddish stems and new shoots are a striking characteristic of this species...

Acacia aulacocarpa does not have reddish stems with its young growth sometimes slightly golden... aulacocarpa also has phyllodes which are longer and more slender than those in your picture...

to me picture 4 looks like Acacia concurrens... slightly reddish stems (not as distinct as leiocalyx) and phyllodes which are slightly greyish and scurfy rather than clear green as in leiocalyx...

the second may also be concurrens... from my own home grown concurrens i have noticed that their phyllodes become a "dirtier" grey with age, with young plants looking almost identical to leiocalyx except with larger, broader and more rounded phyllodes... much like phlebophylla...

Acacia cinncinata has golden hairy young phyllodes... unlike any of your plants...

hope this helps

Hey guys thanks for all the helpful pointers. I will do the mission back upto the plants after some cones and get some clos up shots/look for the bits you guys pointed out.

that is the hardest part for me, knowing which features of the plants distinguish them from others. I Will post back in n hour or two with some more info about each of the plants, including some phyllose measurments and so on which should help with the id dramatically. I will also take notes on the stems color/structure of leaves and so on.

many thanks for the help, going to take some saddy bags with me to collect some seeds in so i can label them and keep em seperate, my last ones got mixed up in my pocket.

gallery_31518_666_1061219.jpg

gallery_31518_666_248087.jpg

found a larger version of what i think is the Acacia Podalyriifolia just next to the little one and it was seeding :) the seed pods are a purpleish red color on the outside and pinky red inside with a velvety feel to them like the leaves, beautiful really ! didnt get the best pictures while i was there but got a few never the less. This is one that i would want to grow in my yard as i am fascinated by the leaf structure it has.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gallery_31518_666_1199167.jpg

gallery_31518_666_155620.jpg

Acacia cultriformis seems to match this one a bit more a bit more as the tips of the leaves are pointed as opposed to fully oval. i am really unsure :S it has the velvety seeds on it, after comparing the two pics they look like different plants. Quite a few acacia growing in this little area, was a large forest, demolished for houses they left a few acacia around the edges which are spreading slowly :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gallery_31518_666_160170.jpg

gallery_31518_666_96514.jpg

and finally another one in the same area which is seeding currently, seeds aren't ready yet so i left them, has red stems where the growth is new and the seed pods are black with cool red accents.

anywho guys gotta water my herbs ;)

edit: by the way, reguardless of what they turn out to be if anyone wants any seeds from any of them let me know and i will grab you some. postage is cheap i can do it for free, a regular envelope would suffice shouldn't it for posting a few seeds ?? can put in a letter to so it don't feel funny.

Edited by DarkSpark

Thanks for your help man. i have a few seeds off it but they got mixed up with some others :S going to try and germinate most of them anyways and plant them around the area. Also got some seeds/berries of

Cordyline rubra - Palm Lily

Jacaranda mimosifolia - i think its mimosifolia same color flowers just from my googling...

Acacia podalyriifolia - heaps around here actually i love them look so cool

Delonix regia - poinciana beautiful trees

Alpinia caerulea - native ginger

going to research how to germ each of these now any input would be helpful... got the potting mix and some trays, i know to soak my poinciana seeds in warm water and am starting with them.

Edited by DarkSpark

i am attmpting to germ quite a few of those seeds. i have got the following in water for the day(almost boiling when poured in)

11 x acacia fimbriata (i think so anywho) cant really remember what the tree looked like identifying by seeds

15 x acacia podalriafolia

30 x Delonix Regia

and i planted probably 50+ of the Mimosifolia into seedraising mix. will be doing the palm lillies after lunch.

putting them all into long rectangle pots until about an inch or two tall then transplanting into their own little planted pots (scored about 500 from greencorps :D)

sadly cant find the falcata seeds i had but oh well hopefully there will still be some there... hoping to germ shitloads, plant some locally and give some to friends.

hunting down a salvia clipping to add to the collection, i know its illegal but i find it hard to believe a copper is going to come in and pick me up on the salvia in my back yard.. I have lots of plants it would blend in nicely...

Edited by DarkSpark

This is one i have been googling for a few days can't seem to get an id or even general direction to look :( a beautiful plant, flourishing since its repot 2 weeks ago. annoying me not knowing the name. Also i am assuming that it would be a plant that could be "Cloned" through rhizome division(cutting with a sharp knife... Not that i want to take any off it just like ot know for future reference.

19250_103021809724306_100000494613069_78776_3184442_n.jpg

19250_103021806390973_100000494613069_78775_2048480_n.jpg

and another quick pic first time i have ever seen a Chlorophytum Comosum(spider plant) actually flowering off its pup branchlet thingies. Beautiful little flowers though.

19250_103120636381090_100000494613069_80821_1822323_n.jpg

edit: its a Caladium finally i found it :D

Edited by DarkSpark

i think the 2nd pic i the first post MIGHT be A. Complanata not 100% sure though

also i posted a while back in the acacia cloning thread about finding some babies whether they be rootstock or branches i am undeure, never the less they have taken off. New shoots everywhere on one(presumably a more shrubby variety) and nice large phyllodes on the other... No idea about id though :( been searching and searching. they are only young so it may be hard but if anyone knows it would be appreciated.

plant number 1

gallery_31518_666_275705.jpg

gallery_31518_666_8497.jpg

plant number 2

gallery_31518_666_114862.jpg

gallery_31518_666_253140.jpg