The Corroboree
FungalFractoids

Herbs and veges: waht should I be growing now?

So I've belatedly got the vege patch weeded and turned, there is a good spring rain, what sort of seedlings should I be looking to plant at this time of year?

Edited by FungalFractoids

There are heaps to plant. I am in the same boat and just got a few in yesterday. (Of course it depends where you are living!)

I"m in Melbourne and most of the herbs are going to be excellent for right now.

Think of the fruity-juicy kind of vegetables. Like tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant. As opposed to the hardy greens like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage.

This link gives you the climates related to growing conditions>Diggers club

I got this from the yates page>

When to grow vegies

Vegetables can be loosely grouped according to their growing season.

Cool Season Vegetables: Grow best when temperatures are between 10-20 degrees C or even lower. They include: broad beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, onions, peas, spinach and turnips.

Intermediate Season Vegetables: These are best between temperatures of 15-25 degrees. Include: beetroot, carrot, parsnip, celery, leek, lettuce, radish, silver beet.

Warm Season vegetables: Are grown best when temperatures are above 20 degrees C. Include: Beans, capsicum, eggplant, potato, sweet corn, sweet potato, tomato and cucurbits (including cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins etc.)

Right now i'm growing (in NSW):

tomatos

corn

capsicum

cucumber

strawberries

eggplant

peas

cabbage

onions

spring onions

leek

carrots

celery

and most common herbs

most were planted less than 6 weeks ago, and are growing like crazy (tomatoes are 1m high now and beginning to fruit) probably due to the 60+ kilos of rooster booster I dug into our small plot :P

Any of the above can still be planted now.

Edit: most were started from nursery punnet stock, so were ~5-10cm tall when planted. It may be a little late to plant some of these from seed now, particularly those which bolt to seed early.

Edited by Alice

oooh... chillies, eggplants , watermelons, zucchini, fennel, basil, just go nuts!