The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Paper chromatography

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev

quote:

1)Why would i want to use silica gel chrom. vs Paper chrom

Paper chromatography can usually only seperate very small amounts. Not really good for commercial applications.

quote:

2) Chrom paper is expensive. Like bacteriological grade agar vs food grade agar (10x less the price) - are plain filter papers (10x less the price) suitable for kitchen tek chromatography experiments

Filter paper,papers towels, tissue paper - try em all, its not like its a crippling expense. Ideally, your looking for the highest %age cellulose content, and youll probably have to experiment to find it.

Maybe try microscale column chromatography. Heres a couple of good Teks.

Expiremental Salvia Info

Chromatography Procedure

All the start up materials are recyclable, so enjoy!

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev

I dont have much of an idea about most of that stuff either - ive just picked up bits and peices. What are you using it for,if you dont mind me asking? If your trying to seperate something like a plant extract, id go with column chromatography unless your just analyzing the fractions. If your just researching, go paper or tlc. If you want a usuable product when your done, go column.

Rev, how much chromatography paper do you get in those whatman packs? If carrying out analysis, use silica gel TLC plates over paper for superior resolution.

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev

Id use filter paper, for sure. It should do the job just fine. Filter paper of paper towels. I did paper towel chromatography in fourth grade - it took me tuil two years ago to realise i knew what chromatography was, and that i had done it. hahaha - good luck man.