The Corroboree
occidentalis

North West Argentina

Hey everyone

here are a few photos from Salta Province, North West Argentina. Heaps of cacti here (only 2 or 3 common species, but everywhere). Most of these are geotagged so you can see where they are on the map from the flickr site.

I have a few more interesting photos of cacti and landscapes in my camera but haven´t got around to posting them yet, will update soon!

3747189288_0162e0928d.jpg

This is the ruins of Quilmes, a large settlement of Diaguita people who managed to resist the expansion of the Incas from the north but got wiped out by the Spanish. It was pretty awesome to get there before sunrise, watch the sun come up through the Cardons, and have the place to myself.

The cacti are Cardon, which as far as I can work out is a general term for a number of species of Trichocereus. I think these are T. terschekki but if anyone has any better ideas, please contribute. They differ in spination and hairiness a bit, but I haven't been able to work out if there is more than one species around here or just one variable one (but as we all know, species is a pretty vague concept when it comes to cacti...)

3746400355_1249e98396.jpg

Also at Quilmes

These little epiphytes (Tillandsia?) grow on everything. In some places they literally cover the cacti. There are also some mosses that do the same. I have some good photos of this but not posted yet.

3739163709_934619b755.jpg

Quebrada de Talampaya, Parque Nacional Talampaya

this place was a bit of a pain in the arse to get to, but very beautiful

very annoyingly you can just see a little bit of the vehicle on the left ;) will have to photoshop that out when I get home.

Enjoy, feel free to browse the other photos in flickr if you like. Will add more soon. Heading to Bolivia next week, will make more posts from different countries. Probably won't be checking the site very often, send me a pm or some other form of contact if you would like to.

Edited by occidentalis

that 3rd photo is friggin awsome !

Cardon is name for Pachycereus pringlei

Awesome dude keep us updated!