The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Plant Pimp

catuaba

I found a good bulk price on this Brazillian herb and was wondering if anyone here has heard anything about it or maybe even tried it? It's reported to be a mild stimulant/aphrodesiac. I read that once in the 1950's, some researcher said that they isolated yohimbine from it, but it was never comfirmed.

:confused:

Catuaba is a common name for aphrodisiac plants in South America. It means "Strong Man".

I would love to get hold of some of these so-called Erythroxylon catuabas, because the article of herbal commerce is generally the bignoniaceous Anemopaegma mirandum. All the catuaba I have seen looks remarkably like the other bignoniaceous barks.

The species that I have found for sale is Juniperus brasiliensis (which is thought to refer to “small catuaba”). This is thought to be a pseudonym for Erythroxylum catuaba.

I'm much more interested in the stimulant properties (for late night cramming) than the aphrodesiac ones, although antiviral and antibacterial properties couldn't hurt either. If this is similar to yohimbe, can anyone describe an experience? I think yohimbe was banned from import or sale here a while ago, but I have seen it for sale again recently, so maybe it has been lifted?

Cheers

The catuaba I am familiar with is a mild stimulant and warming aphrodisiac, nothing spectacular. I would imagine it shares the antifungal and immune-stimulating properties of its co-familiars.

Juniperus brasiliensis cannot be a botanical pseudonym for Erythroxylum catuaba or vice versa. No botanist could be that stupid. Some may be dim but to confuse a conifer with a flowering plant would bring shame even to the mjshroomers of botany.

Then again quite a few herb suppliers seem to rely on the common name. Common names can kill.

It does seem crazy that someone could make such a mistake in naming these, but I was just referring to information in the link above.

quote:

A large amount of confusion exists regarding the actual species of tree that is harvested in Brazilian forests and sold around the world as catuaba. Experienced Brazilian harvesters will refer to two species: a “big catuaba” and a “small catuaba.” The confusion thickens when relating these trees to approved botanical species names. “Small catuaba” is Erythroxylum catuaba A. J. Silva ex. Raym.-Hamet (the name was accepted in 1936). It which grows 2–4 m tall and sports yellow-to-orange flowers and—in Brazil—is referred to as catuaba. “Big catuaba“ is Trichilia catigua A. Juss. (in the mahogany family), which grows 6–10 m tall and has cream-colored flowers. This tree is referred to in Brazil as catiguá and angelim-rosa. Moreover, three other (unapproved) botanical names for catuaba are used incorrectly in herbal commerce today: Juniperus brasiliensis (which is thought to refer to “small catuaba”), and Anemopaegma mirandum and Eriotheca candolleana, which are completely different species altogether. Anemopaegma is a huge tree in the Bignonia family, growing to 40 m tall and called catuaba-verdadeira in Brazil. This species of tree is now harvested and exported out of Brazil (resulting in its incorporation in herbal products sold in the U.S. today) as just "catuaba." Erythroxylum catuaba and Trichilia catigua are the preferred Brazilian herbal medicine species, with the longest documented history of use as “big and little catuaba.” Both types are used interchangeably in Brazilian herbal medicine systems for the same conditions.

This is really confusing! :confused: The Erythroxylum sounds more interesting (just by the name), but I'll see if Juniperus has any effect anyway.

btw: pseudonym means 'false' name

theobromos:

No botanist could be that stupid. Some may be dim but to confuse a conifer with a flowering plant would bring shame even to the mjshroomers of botany.

Youre a bitch Theo Has he found any new species this week?

but sometimes natives use the same name, in our case "catuaba" for totaly different plants.

the reason for giving them the same name is, because they classifie them as having same or similar powers!!

similar as ephedra and cannabis are in one catagory in chinese herbal knowledge!!

or for example, urmenetea atacamensis gets called the "coca del suri" plant , whilst not belonging to the erythroxylums, but it's used as a coca substitute.

:D

Catuaba is great dont know which one I have though

If someone have some lying around could you send it to me for comparison?

Im very interested in catuaba Im curious about your experiences with it Torsten can you say anything about the chemical side of it?

Edited by opiumfreak