The Corroboree
Uncle. S

nasty sand

hey guys, in my back yard is sand (i live about 4 kilometres from the beach) with limestone not too far down. i threw some sunflower seeds in the ground a little while ago and watered once a day when very hot and less when cooler. they grew very quickly but then recently a few plants had all there leaves turn black and keeled over within a few days, and most plants had at least a couple of black leaves. about 2 weeks ago i got 4 bare rooted cacti i found in my nonnas backyard and planted one in cheap (not nutrient boosted) pottiing mix and the other 3 in the sand in the ground. over one day all 3 in the ground turned yellow and the one in the pot stayed a rich green. they are all in the same spot in the backyard so i rule out sunburn and none of them have been fertilised. if thought maybe it could be salty soil but everyone else nearby grows plants in the ground. any thoughts? sorry if this is a stupid question! :)

If the Cacti turned yellow that quickly then yes they have been burnt, I have had the same problem with mine planted in sandy soil in the Perth sun, give them a cheap shade sail and plenty of water in hot spells and they will love you for it. A friend of mine lives your way by the sounds of it, Spearwood area? where there is plenty of limestone in the ground and nice "Spearwood red" sand. He has them in partial shade and they have grown 7ft or more and are a dark dark green.

Edited by mr b.caapi