The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Genesis

Siesta

Recently I have been knocking off work at around 3, coming home feeling quite exhausted and taking a little siesta. It is great! A quick half hour + nap and I am good to go again. Only problem is it means I get to bed later as I can't sleep and having to get up for work at a set time means I am sleep deprived. It is a big cycle of pain and yawning.

I did some looking up on the net about the Spanish siesta and found many countries also indulge in this practice and it is most often done after large midday meal or at around 12 in the arvo.

Can sleeping in the late afternoon be detrimental at all to ones health?

I was thinking that maybe a siesta had ties with eating, helping digestion etc. where as the naps I am taking are purely cause' I am fucked. I was thinking maybe a late afternoon siesta might slow down ones metabolism (and as it is soon followed by a meal one loses the chance to burn extra energy) and I know it affects my nightly sleep.

Any opinions?

I also found that a siesta in the early arvo can improve memory and greek men that napped in the early arvo were less serceptable to heart disease. What do you think the chances are of con'ing my boss into letting me sleep on the job? :P

Gen

If its affecting your nightly sleep its going to affect your health for the worse.

Also it may eventually start having wider implications as your circadian rythms start changing to adapt to the new pattern.

Thats my basic understanding anyway.

Peace

In all honesty mexicans dont usually take seistas - they just sleep all day on the job and are hard to wake up when you walk into their stores...

They do it often in Italy as well... Kids go home from school for lunch and go back afterwards but they start earlier and finish later by memory.

They big advantage of the health benefits in terms of metabolism is the fact that they eat a big lunch and have a very light dinner which means that when they're having a proper sleep they don't have a full belly of food. Since they are only having a short nap it wouldn't slow down metabolism because they're going to be active for the rest of the day and thus the big meal is burned off better.

You could always ask your boss but I don't think its likely. Apparantly some big corporate jobs have trialed power naps for efficiency hehe.