The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Drugs: a social history @ Melbourne museum

9 May - 21 Sep 2008

A touring exhibition of the Historic House Trust.

There was a time when cannabis cigarettes were promoted for asthma relief and opium-laced syrups were given to calm teething infants. Doctors prescribed heroin for relief during childbirth, and writers, musicians and artists sought inspiration in the fiery euphoria of opiates.

Society's attitudes have changed dramatically, yet some of the most lethal recreational drugs are still legal and widely available.

This exhibition explores our love-hate relationship with drugs, revisiting pivotal moments in Australia's drug-taking history: from sly-grog to safe injecting: from Bex to the billboard vigilate group BUGAUP; from opium dens to the Aquarius Festival and rave nation - this powerful show challenges views on drugs!

--some cool images & video at the link:

http://museumvictoria.com.au/MelbourneMuse...social-history/

Thanks so much for posting this. I loved the video file on the old stands of pot around Maitland. Apparently there were similar weedy outbreaks here in SA too. I wonder if this was some of the original seed stock from asian heritage? Looks a little more indi tho.

:)

Bd

according to my friend who saw it in albury recently, my name is on heaps of the fliers in there :o

not sure how i feel about that :unsure:

according to my friend who saw it in albury recently, my name is on heaps of the fliers in there

At the risk ov seeming completely out ov touch, could i ask "Why?" :scratchhead: