The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Aerial roots

Hi knowledgeable folk

I have a couple of hylocereus undatus, and another very simlar epicactus which have developed HEAPS of aerial roots, which are starting to make it look very untidy, and the mrs is wanting to either break them off or remove it from our windowsill.

Can anyone tell me what they're for, and can I break them off without harming the plant? It seems to be putting more energy into these roots than the branches now :S

Thanks

Hit Bit! These Aerial Roots normally show a lack of Nutrients! Just feed a little bit more in the future! But some hylocereus tend to develope these Aerial Roots without any particular cause! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

I have a TBM section that rooted quite quickly then proceeded to do SFA for 12 months other than bit by bit put growth into an aerial root. Figured it was chasing more water so I gave it more drinkies. This just made the section plump up a bit and made the aerial grow a bit faster. I was ferting my other plants and decided to top dressed it with some Osmocote Exact standard 8-9, after which it pupped within a fortnight :)

Handy thing to know fo sho.

I'd concur with the above. Any fast-growing cactus (or any plant for that matter) tends to be on the nutrient-hungry side of things... and the hylocereus is a pretty speedy lil' plant when grown under the right conditions, so keep it fed and you should get some monster growth. Not to mention some tasty fruit after the flowers... :wink:

According to the descriptions given in the attached information sheet -

Hylocerues undatus is a segmented, vine-like crawling cactus with aerial roots. Being an epiphyte, it clings to its support and can obtain nutrients from cracks where organic material concertrates.

It requires between 600-1300mm of rainfall alternating between wet and dry seasons.

It is also important not to let your dragonfruit cactus climb on treated timber if you plan to eat the fruit as it could absorb chemicals throuh its roots.

Hylocereus_undatus.pdf

Hylocereus_undatus.pdf

Hylocereus_undatus.pdf

Edited by rahli

My epis, selinis, hylos all do this... general conditions that encourage it are...

1> getting hungry, going looking for food. this is sometimes exacerbated by...

2> lack of water. These things are NOT straight cacti, they like quite a lot of water where possible (tho its not essential ,tis a nice touch). If its pure thirst, then roots will tend to head away from light and into shade. Which happens when...

3> plant growing either in "polar" light ie very bright one side, very dark the other, but not getting enough light from the very light side... or in what used to be a nice spot but as the summer ends and it gets darker earlier, they tend to go into rooting mode.

I think its a bit of a process...they get thirsty and dark, they go looking, then use those roots to support new growth that in theory gets them into the right light levels.

You can cut em off, but esp if new vege growth looks very thin and spindly, I'd gradually up its lights... otherwise the new sappy shit will just turn white and drop off... not such a loss, if its butt ugly. Otherwise, cut em off, but theyll grow back unless u remove the motivation for them happening to start with.

I see aerial roots popping on TBMS from time to time, usually kinda underpotted well growing ones, even see nthem drop right down the side of the pot and crawl back underneath the bottom of the pot. Whacky. When my first clump started doing that, it got dismembered, and has been pupping and rooting madly ever since... like they reach a critical mass, or something.

Epis seem most prone to throwing them when in less than ideal spot, then selenis, hylos seem to just do it from time to time regardless of conditions. theyre just greedy bogan plants really...botanical equivalent of scabbing mates dropping round 10 minutes before dinnertime :lol:

VM

Cheers for the factsheet rahli. I'm growing both H. undatus and H. polyrhizus, so that info will come in handy.

Doubt I can fruit the little buggers down here in Vic, but I live in hope anyway...

Cheers for the factsheet rahli. I'm growing both H. undatus and H. polyrhizus, so that info will come in handy.

Doubt I can fruit the little buggers down here in Vic, but I live in hope anyway...

Not a problem Lachy

I have a few others on file.

Here they are if you are interested -

Hylocereus_undatus1.pdf

Hylocereus_undatus2.pdf

& one on prunning

Hylocereus_undatus_prunning.pdf

Cheers

Hylocereus_undatus1.pdf

Hylocereus_undatus2.pdf

Hylocereus_undatus1.pdf

Hylocereus_undatus2.pdf

Thanks again for that - those articles should come in handy.

I love dragonfruit... except it costs about six bucks a pop at markets down this way. If I could establish even a small plant that was capable of fruiting I'd be a happy little vegemite.

Thanks again for that - those articles should come in handy.

I love dragonfruit... except it costs about six bucks a pop at markets down this way. If I could establish even a small plant that was capable of fruiting I'd be a happy little vegemite.

Fark, $6.

I brought one for 50c at the markets in Darwin last week.

Good luck with your fruit.