The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
alkatrope

Import Tax

I'm considering purchasing a camera which would just break the $1000 mark, and would therefore be subject to import tax if ordered from OS.

Now the store says they can mark the item as under $1000 at the customer's request, but there is still the posibility customs will charge the import tax.

So, if the package is marked as <$1000, on what grounds would customs charge the tax? How would they know, and how likely is it the tax would be charged?

If they did add tax, how much would they add if they couldn't just take 10% of marked price? Do they open the package then thinking it looks like it's >$1000, google the retail price and slap you with 10% of that (which is likely more than the price paid anyway)?

Thanks!

They access retail prices. Ive had it happen to me but luckily my equipment wasnt on their register.

They will add the tarif applicable, plus 10% gst. Not sure what the tarif for cameras is.

Bd

So in that case, if I bought the camera for say $1200, but the Cannon RRP was say $1600 and the box was marked as say $800.. I'd be hit with 10% of $1600 rather than what I actually payed?

Does that also mean that if they marked the box legitamately as $1200, I'd get $160 tax anyway?

And how do they know what's inside anyway? Is it just random opening of packages? What are they odds they'd check my package and tax me?

And I had a look at the customs tarif thingamibob it appears there's no tarif for cameras unless I'm using it for graphic design..

Guest Øskorei

Just a thought.... how about having the vendor take the lense off, and package/post it seperatly, thus reducing the actual value of the camera if it was shipped complete as one unit. This of course would only be an option if it has an expensive detachable lense.

Alternatively, if it's a new camera you speak of, if there's good dialogue between you and the vendor, suggest getting him to damage the box, maybe smear it with some dirt, cuff up the edges, maybe tear a bit of the cardboard, remove the accessories from their bag, uncoil the cables etc, and send it to you marked as a second-hand item ! Ultimately, the box is of no value, but might save you hundreds.

So why buy from OS anyway - can you not source the cam locally, or is it shittingly expensive here ? If you're still saving money with the import tax still included, then it's still a good deal right ? Personally I wouldn't buy pricey items from O/S no matter what, for I'd be worried about after-sale support - like if it fucked up it's going to be a pain in the arse to get serviced (unless of course Canon Australia would honour a US-Purchased device.

Pretty sure that as it's a kit lens, the lens is mentioned on the box and is part of the retail. The lens is cheap-ish anyway, well only adds $100 if you buy it as a kit with the cam but $300 by itself.

The second hand thing is an idea, thanks.

Looking at buying from OS as so far I haven't seen it at less than $1600 in shops and it's under $1400 (incl. postage) from Hong Kong. I think the Canon here do service it, it says one or two year warranty worldwide from memory. But if the price is going to be pretty similar, I would rather get it from a local shop for that kinda reason. But if I'm going to save $200+, then yeah, I'd rather order it from OS.

Looking at buying from OS as so far I haven't seen it at less than $1600 in shops and it's under $1400 (incl. postage) from Hong Kong. I think the Canon here do service it, it says one or two year warranty worldwide from memory. But if the price is going to be pretty similar, I would rather get it from a local shop for that kinda reason. But if I'm going to save $200+, then yeah, I'd rather order it from OS.

I purchased a Nikon D80 from Hong Kong through ebay last year. I paid $1350 including postage while the shop price here was over $1800. I would have preferred to buy from a local shop for two reasons - to support local shops (not just on principal, but because it's always good to be able to look at a product and ask questions before you buy), and also because I was concerned about potential warranty issues if there was anything wrong with it.

I asked the seller and he informed me that the 'international' warranty meant that I would have to send the camera back to Hong Kong for servicing if there was anything wrong with it. After reading some posts on photography forums I have learnt that if you try and send a camera purchased overseas or on the 'grey' market to an Australian service centre, they will refuse to service it under warranty. In the end I decided the $600 saving would enable me to simply pay for any servicing it was likely to require and so far the camera has been perfect.

Alk, it's probably worth asking your seller, and also Canon Australia what their policy on servicing cameras purchased from overseas is if this is something you're concerned about.

On the matter of Import Tax, in my case the seller wrote on the box that it was a digital camera with a value of $600. I didn't have to pay any tax, but I guess they didn't open the package and check it out.

If you haven't seen it yet, this page explains it pretty well http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Guest Øskorei

And further to what creach touches on re: 'grey' market, if you buy something out of asia, it is not at all unlikely that it may be a bootleg rendition of the genuine original. Piracy in all manner of products has been evident for many years. Anyone wanna buy a 'genuine' Rolex for $50 ?

They will hit anything over AU$1,000 with gst and a tarif if applicable.

If you severly under cost the product, and they do pick it up on the way thru(its over a thou so there is a good chance of it) they can/will charge you up to Australian retail costs. They arnt stupid. If that particular model isnt sold here its a different story. You also have to "prove" that the item is second hand, although this is almost impossible to dispute, they know most of the tricks trust me.

I was carrying a 10kg diff centre in my personal luggage on the way back from japan and they tried to hit me up with tax on that too! Of course it was second hand, it just looked nice ans shiny with no smell of diff oil anywhere! :slap:

With another electronic item I tried the ol "well I took it back over to japan to get it fixed, now its fixed and im bringing it back". They didnt like that either, claiming that i should have filled out a export form to notify them that i was exporting a AU$1,2000 dollar car computer taking it with me out of the country. I told them that was ludacris and there was never any mention to me from airport/customs staff upon leaving the country. Point was he wanted a reference point to prove it wasnt a new item made out to look secondhand(which it was, kinda)

Ive never had a problem with buying stuff from Honkers, most dealers seem more than happy to offload great products at slightly cheaper prices. Remember, HK doesnt have the import taxes(if any) applicable. Thats where your saving your money over there. You just end up paying those taxes at this end.

Saying all this your camera may just slip thru, but i wouldnt count on it.

Hope my ramblings have been of some help.

BD

Thanks creach, I'll ask the seller about the warranty. The link was also useful. Good to hear your camera got through untaxed, too!

Dragon, what do you call severely undercosting the product? Say from $1300 to $900?

Thanks, your ramblings have been useful ;)