The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chemical Shaman

Farmers to get go-ahead to grow hemp

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=444159

Farmers to get go-ahead to grow hemp

Wednesday Apr 9 10:24 AEST

The NSW government says hemp growers will be on a drug-free high with plans to introduce a new licensing scheme to encourage local growers.

Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said a potentially lucrative industrial hemp industry was not far off, following changes which will be introduced by the Iemma government.

"Industrial hemp fibre produced here in NSW could pave the way for the establishment of a new viable industry that creates and sells textiles, cloth and building products made from locally grown hemp," Mr Macdonald said.

"There is growing support from the agricultural sector for the development of such a new industry. This is a direct result of the environmentally-friendly nature of industrial hemp and a perceived interest for hemp products in the market."

Industrial hemp is a species of cannabis, but it has low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) compared to other forms of cannabis plants and cannot be used as a drug.

Mr Macdonald said the soft texture of hemp means it can be used for insulation or as an alternative to fibreglass, while hemp seed oil can be used as a base for skin care products and paints.

The scheme will be administered by the minister and will operate within a strict legal framework.

"The NSW government will amend existing criminal drug laws to ensure that existing drug law enforcement is not compromised - and this position is supported by the NSW Police," Mr Macdonald said in a statement.

©AAP 2008

Industrial hemp is a species of cannabis, but it has low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) compared to other forms of cannabis plants and cannot be used as a drug.

i thought that any female hemp/cannabis plant grown in well fertilized soil w/full sunshine & separate from male plants would produce reasonable yields ov THC.

hopefully the advantages of its efficient industrial use will play a role in dissolving conservative attitudes towards this wonderful plant.

baby steps. :)

Found this Low Thc hemp in NSW

States that low THC cultivars are genetically unstable and can return to high TCH plants easily.

Your right nabraxas, higher thc yeilds are a given result of over watering and high nutrition i believe. I had another report from the government somewhere here stating that there were significant increases due to weather interaction, ill see if i can find it.

What i find amazing is that trials in SA were canned due to low yeild returns. It also states that they couldnt find a suitable cultivar that will grow in SA. Fuck me!! That one big fucking understatement!!! I happen to know that one of hollands big seed producers was breeding hemp with low water requirements specifically for southern Australi. Using genes from the Bekaa valley to harden the plants.

Using genes from Bulgaria and France wont cut it here in SA, any dumbfuk could work that out. You could sucessfully breed new varitites within quite a short time-frame if they realy wanted to(or contracted companies in the know). They have shown this with the northern australian cultivars, some were high yeilding within 2 or 3 years of breeding.

So if a crop doesnt yeild highest possible ammount the first time 'round you ditch the whole program?? :huh: Seems someone wanted those results and doesnt want to work any harder for the good of humankind. Convienient.

Good on NSW i say, bout time you slashed all that cotton!

BD

PS, found a similar report that i was talking about. Here

(sorry if its not quite what i was after but gives some insight into tropical cultivars)

Edited by BlackDragon