The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ENtiTY

LED grow lamps??

Ok here are the pics I said I'd take earlier :)

post-2785-1206780728_thumb.jpg

I have 2 of the 4 LED arrays setup for the moment. Not happy with distance required between the arrays and the peres to get the coverage area that the manufacturer states, was hoping for something a little more compact. To remedy this I'm going to try 3 arrays per 90cm x 40cm bay and reduce the distance between the arrays and the peres / grafts. Not sure how the grafts will handle the increased light intensity but I'm sure the peres will love it :).

As the setup is it has been running almost a month now, the peres grafts and graft to be's have all maintained their rapid growth after moving from fluro to LED which is a relief :).

I'm no expert on the peres/Loph graft as these are the first 3 I've done. Below are some before and after shots of 2 of my grafts so the more experienced out there can judge if they are growing at a normal rate.

post-2785-1206784215_thumb.jpgpost-2785-1206784119_thumb.jpg

The first pic is just out of humidity and under fluros for the pic. The second pic is as of today 30 days on under the LED's.

post-2785-1206785104_thumb.jpgpost-2785-1206785130_thumb.jpg

Same deal as above, last pic as of today30 days under LED's from the top pic which is at 19 days under Fluros. Hope that makes scence.

Both grafts are non specific willi's, not caespitosa as far as I know.

Let ya'll know when I setup the 3 arrays as decribed :)

post-2785-1206784119_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1206784215_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1206785104_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1206785130_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1206784119_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1206784215_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1206785104_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1206785130_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

I have 2 of the 4 LED arrays setup for the moment. Not happy with distance required between the arrays and the peres to get the coverage area that the manufacturer states, was hoping for something a little more compact. To remedy this I'm going to try 3 arrays per 90cm x 40cm bay and reduce the distance between the arrays and the peres / grafts. Not sure how the grafts will handle the increased light intensity but I'm sure the peres will love it :) .

The height above the cuttings does seem excessive. What are the specs for intensity/area vs distance?

One of the advantages of led arrays is their low radiant heat, which means you should be able to get them pretty close to your plants. With light intensity being inversely proportional to the square of the distance from source to target (doubling the distance decreases intensity by a factor of four, trebling by a factor of nine, etc), this enables good light levels but only when relatively close the plant.

Most LEDs are very directional in their light generation too, so shaping of the reflector/array is more critical than with conventional forms of general lighting.

ed

The arrays are supposed to cover 2sq feet but that seems to be stretching it to me. I have no specs on the LED's themselves but the most common angle of light emittance for their size is around 20 degrees. When I was looking into building an array myself I was going to use 8mm LED's rated at 45000mcd and emitt at 45 degrees. Will prolly still do it when I have the time and the finances, as I now have a general design to go off that is simple to mod to suit my specific purposes.

I'll try the 3 arrays first to see how that goes. I'm gonna have to make a new housing for the 3 LED circuit boards to fit as the 3 in their individual housings are to bulky to fit across 90cm. All ready got it figured just need some materials and to get round to it.

I have been looking into LED growlights for a couple of years now (waiting for the technology to mature). Here are a couple of links that I feel stand out from the rest.

Procyon 100W

LED Growlights

Dunno if these can be ordered in 240V and they are not cheap but worth a look.

Also check out Crestech for some theory behind LED brightness (and a lumen calculator).

So is anyone else using a LED grow lamp?

Especially interested if anyone is using an all blue array. I'm keen to make an array of larger dimentions than ones I have to suit the bench area I'm using. Want to make an all blue one as it'll be used for grafts and seedlings. If anyone does have an all blue array then could I trouble you for a pic of the power supply circuit and components? Just want to compare the differences between my red/blue array power supply to an all blue one.

Even better, if anyone here has an understanding of electronics, especially 240V power supplies then maybe you could help me understand which part of the circuit does what so I could make new ones or mod the ones I have to suit the blue LED's.

Edited by Harry