The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
JustAskSally

Is Mycelium Active?? and why shuld i be cursed/blessed with fruit?

Hey if anyone can clarify, i was curious if mycelium contains any active's? and if these can be utilized after the cake has been exhausted?.. Also was wondering why i would have fruiting cakes whilst still inside substrate jars, and also sometimes before the network has fully taken hold of the substrate.. It makes it very hard to work with because the mushrooms are growing in the 2-5mm void between the cake and the glass and creating a pressure seal which makes it extremely difficult to remove them and also creates a conflict of interest when the cake hasn't fully colonized yet and has overly large fruits on it..

Also probably a stupid question but anyone grown in zip lock bags?? I have a decent terrarium setup but wanted to do some experimenting on the side and thought about going poor mans.. but... i thought i could go 1 better, so ive created my lil Aussie bogan terrarium which utilizes zip lock bags perlite and a hand sprayer with good results, just put a couple of handfuls of perlite in the bottom of the bag and opening once a day for air circulation n spraying whenever i remember (usually once a day) for humidity... Ive found this pretty good, although they do not (or have not) grown any large fruit, i do get quite alot of small to medium sized caps and it probably works out about even wit the cakes in my shroom house..

Peace

Hey if anyone can clarify, i was curious if mycelium contains any active's? and if these can be utilized after the cake has been exhausted?.. Also was wondering why i would have fruiting cakes whilst still inside substrate jars, and also sometimes before the network has fully taken hold of the substrate.. It makes it very hard to work with because the mushrooms are growing in the 2-5mm void between the cake and the glass and creating a pressure seal which makes it extremely difficult to remove them and also creates a conflict of interest when the cake hasn't fully colonized yet and has overly large fruits on it..

Mycelium does contain actives, however you would need a lot of mycelium for those actives to be utilized. Plenty of threads over at shroomery on the subject.

Fruiting cakes while still in jars... Normally if they're fruiting it means that all the substrate has been colonised, as i've read and been told many a time that mycelium will not fruit unless all the available substrate has been colonised. (Information collected at shroomery)

But as you said, since you can see that all the substrate has not been colonised yet the top part is fruiting. It may mean that the uncolonised part may be contaminated with something. So all the substrate that was Able to be colonised, actually has been.

Also temperture, light and humidity would be playing factors as well.

Aya

Whenever i've had fruit come up while substrate is still in jar i remove the cake... It can withstand a bit of banging trying to get it out, but the earlier taking it out the better IMO.

Its usually due to them not being kept in complete darkness, as Aya suggested, light and temp play big parts in the fruiting process.

Myscelium does contain actives, but depending on the species that activity can range from poor to mild. Im talking about cubensis versus tampensis. Drink it and you mkight get a suprise. Blue