The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Badly Sunburnt Cactus

Unfortunately I cannot take a photo at the moment. I've got about 1foot of cactus, calloused and even open air rooting some. Been leaving it inside for a couple weeks - was going to plant it pretty soon directly in the ground, any need to root them in smaller pots first?

In my bedroom it had not too much light, and it wasn't too damp or anything lately, especially in SA the driest state. However the flesh seemed somewhat softer to the touch. The other day i thought i saw a darker spot at the calloused bottom of the cactus, looking a bit like rot, and dark patches (not black) in other sections of cactus especially the tip. To counter this I bought it into my lounge room behind a window that I didn't realise got the full afternoon sunlight, and I burnt the shit out of my poor cactus.

The underside is still nice and green, the top looks calloused sort of. crispy. I figure that skin is wasted for what I want, but the underside will be good. would sun burn even be able to decompose the alkaloids anyway? I figured that is the best option and I'll just save my tip.

The other option was to plant it with the burnt side towards the soil and the green side to the air and I should hopefully get root formations from the udnerside and some nice pup growth out of the top. I'll take photos tommorow.

slip slop slap...!!! nah... my trichs sometimes get black spots... up to 5c piece size.... probally from sun. just leave them, and they heal themselves no worries.

Duder, I had a TBM that got badly sunburnt a while back after I bought it. It had been greenhouse grown and placing it in 9 hours of direct light had it looking pretty crispy on one side. I just stuck it under a not-too dense bush to give it filtered light for most of the day (especially noon and later - a little morning light seems fine.) A few months later now and it's pupping out extensively. I slowly moved it out into more light every month or so and now it takes direct sun no problem. Give it some morning light and filtered afternoon light and it'll soon adjust :)

med_gallery_596_167_24578.jpg

^^^what a beaut.. and this is what i gone done to her.. ffs!

med_gallery_596_167_92817.jpg

Notice how there is a distinct line near the edge of the cardboard where the white obviously reflected more light inwards. It was like those things people use to tan themselves.