The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
JustAskSally

Free Acacia Decurrens Seed

For Anyone interested in growing some A.Decurrens (green/black wattle) i have heaps of seed, freshly collected a few weeks ago, and was/am planning on donating it to the FSR but thought i might add a post to see if anyone is interested..

I really dont mind paying postage for those that are keen!

This is an excerpt from http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/acaci003.html just to outline the uses practical and medicinal for this plant

---Constituents---Acacia Bark contains from 24 to 42 per cent. of tannin and also gallic acid.

Its powerful astringency causes it to be extensively employed in tanning.

---Medicinal Action and Uses---Medicinally it is employed as a substitute for Oak Bark. It has special use in diarrhoea, mainly in the form of a decoction, the British Pharmacopoeia preparation being 6 parts in 100 administered in doses of 1/2 to 2 fluid ounces. The decoction also is used as an astringent gargle, lotion, or injection.

A liquid extract is prepared from the bark of A. arabica, administered in India for its astringent properties in doses of 1/2 to 1 fluid drachm, but the use of both gum and bark for industrial purposes is much larger than their use in medicine. The bark, under the name of Babul, is used in Scinde for tanning, and also for dyeing various shades of brown.

Peace

Edited by JustAskSally

Yeah actually a favoured Acacia of mine. Are you sure it's not an A. parramettensis though? Both are nice though VERY hard to differentiate between the two. When was it flowering?

If you are interested I would like to trade you some other Sydney Acacia seeds for some of your seed and will throw in some bottle brush seed [Callistemon sp. am unsure of the species though probably C. viminalis] for your native garden too. I have some very fresh A. floribunda and A. falcata seed.

Whoops! Double post [my first double post yippee :rolleyes:]

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

It was in full bloom about 2-3 months ago, has not a one flower on it now (that i can see) and i think it hasn't for about a month.. It is producing seed like crazy and thought id collect some while i can..

I'd say definately A. decurrens then. So you up for a trade or what?