The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alcaline

Papaver somniferum: which variety produce more morphin?

Can somebody tell me if any variety of Papaver somniferum yield more morphin than the oders. If it does, which one is more powerfull?

someone tell me taht hens & chicks is very powerfull. Is it true?

High,

I grow Danish Flags and they produce some nice latex. On warm days much more. It seems that they produce the most when carved in te Morning. I also heard that the white poppy also produce nice latex smile.gif

I had some fancy once but they did not produce much milk. But that is no effidence for them as bad latex producers.

Bye BYe from Holland

Haven't most of the ornamental varieties (such as the multi-petalled/peony-flowered varieties, or Danish Flag) been bred to be pretty low in morphine and codeine? You might get lots of latex from them but it might be low in alkaloids, or full of just the crappy alkaloids like thebaine and papaverine. Unless you can get your hands on some of the commercial pharmaceutical varieties specifically bred for potency, you'd probably be best off just getting an old common strain, rather than buying the fancy ornamental kinds.

Course, I'm just guessing here. For all I know the Danish Flag could be oozing morphine out every pore on the plant.

I found from growing poppy, the strongest I have is a single red with a dark puple base -- a tassie. The others, less punch and as Murple said yep they're peony and multi-petalled. Though this year I'm growing a number of new sorts as seeds I got from the US. I'll be curious how that turns out.

Guest reville

Erliquin.

Would you like to swap a little of that Tassie seed for some of the poppies in the AFSR?

Theres one i got anonymously from the USA called 'miners ghost' do you have it?

reville, no probs I have plenty of seed but what's the AFSR? Anyway, send me an email.

Cya

Erl.

save a couple of those 'miners ghost' for me please rev. i'm due to send you a package soon and it will also include that request just as a reminder. i've seen piccys of the miner and they're quite a stunner.

as for the issue of potency: i took some medicine that the doctor prescribed recently and began to experience disturbed sleep and strange dreams like the one where i tried some 'persian' latex and was amazed at the potency, also there were dreams where i made laudanum and tea from that variety and others and experienced great effects like the best sleep of my life. shame it was a delusion brought on by pharms, think i'll stick to natural therapies in future.