The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
immanuel

obtusifolia?

Question

ive made my fair share of threads on obtus youd think i would of ID it by now.

anyway i think this might be it, looked the same as all the pics ive seen.

98235107hj9.th.jpg

60473596tl9.th.jpg

48047904xk8.th.jpg

10569234hd8.th.jpg

25219492ju2.th.jpg

the red tipped and bright green leaves stood out alot which is what made me investigate. also the leaves are more obtuse at the end.

i couldnt get a pic of the tree, i didnt have my cam with me. but it looked very similar to this, but with more red tipped leaves.

http://zariat.com/fotos/sacred_plants/acac...ifolia%2011.jpg

the older phylllodes were dark green and younger ones very bright green and some red tipped. the colours contrasted and it stood out alot. very beautiful, the older phyllodes were also very leathery compared to maidenii or longifolia.

Edited by mardybum

3 answers to this question

Whilst it does resemble A. obtusifolia, it is A. longifolia that is flowering or just finishing it's flowering at the moment. Also I have seen A. longifolia with the bronze to red tips on new phllodes.

I'm not totally convinced it is A. obtusifolia.

there was only one flower on the whole tree, thats the one in the photo. the flowers looked very old and was not evenly spaced like on longifolia, it was all bunched at the end. also the tree had a really long and defined trunk whereas the longifolias ive seen have branches all around the trunk. i should try get a pic of the actual tree, but is there anyway i can be sure it is or isnt longifolia from the phyllodes?

There is definite differences in the phyllodes although they are very similiar as they are a closely related species. I can only assume you are intending to wild harvest this plant. Therefore I am reluctant to elaborate on these differences. Though what I will say is get yourself a decent hand lense, it is a useful identification tool.