The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
blog

Passiflora Q.

I planted a few passiflora seeds 7 weeks ago after being sent them by some kind person on this board(thanks!, sorry I've forgotten your name) and find it remarkable that even though it's only very immature, and small, about 40cm in height, only one creeper, it has already flowered and now has 5 passionfruit growing on it, with more flowers yet to bloom and fruit.

Is this normal for this species, and if not what circumstances could initiate flowering and fruiting at such a young age. I don't believe I've done anything out of the ordinary.

Wow... What species of Passiflora is it? I've developed a real fondness for P. ligularis ("Granadilla") fruit myself, its sweeter than most passionfruit... though I do enjoy the sourness of the more standard kinds.

yeah, that's sort of a crucial element I left out.

P. Incarnata

I"m growing it for the leaves rather than the fruit but will taste test them anyway.

What do you want the leaves for? They do contain harmala alkaloids, but in concentrations so low as to be useless. The only thing Passiflora are good for are the amazing flowers and the delicious fruit. I've never had incarnata, but most passionfruit are good... especially if you like sour things. Just crack the top off the fruit and suck out the slimy center. Mmmmmmmm!!!!

I use the leaves in a tea for relaxation at night and to help induce sleep. Seems to be effective though there's always the possibiliy it's actions are placebo based. I think it's the flavanoids that are supposed to be active.

'Chemical constituents of the plant: indole alkaloids (harman, harmin, harmalin, harmol, and harmalol) maltol and flavonoids (orientin, isoorientin, vitexin and isovitexin)... supported in their actions by a variety of other constituents, including amino acids, sugars, coumarins, and sterols.'

Guest Trichus

Sour??? They must have different ones over there.

Ive found eating a few (sometimes with ice cream or something) for desert helps induce a peaceful sleep. I dont know if theres harmala alkaloids in the fruit, but Ill bet theres something there.

BTW Does anyone know of any native varieties of P that grow near Sydney?