The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
blackhashish

Corkwood

I presume you are interested in

Duboisia myoporoides, commonly known as Corkwood, in the family Solanaceae (same as Datura, Brugmansia, Mandrake etc.) It has similar chemistry. Check out the SAB species info page on Duboisia myoporoides. Watch out with this one. It's dangerous like its rellies.

Cheers,

Fractal

I presume you are interested in

Duboisia myoporoides, commonly known as Corkwood, in the family Solanaceae (same as Datura, Brugmansia, Mandrake etc.) It has similar chemistry. Check out the SAB species info page on Duboisia myoporoides (actually, you probably have already). Watch out with this one. It's dangerous like its rellies. Hmmm i just had a look at the species info page and it doesn't have anything about chemistry and pharmacology. I think its main active alkaloids are hyoscine and hyoscyamine. These alkaloids can be very dangerous as the dose-response curve gets steep quick making it easy to overdose and do some serious damage to yourself (such as going blind, or worse). Basically, follow precautions as for Datura.

Cheers,

Fractal

Guest wira

There's a lot of chemical variation in D. myoporoides [and other Duboisia spp. as well] that could be due to the existence of different chemotypes within the species, as well as variation due to environmental and maturation factors. Hyoscyamine, hyoscine, and norhyoscyamine have been found as commonly dominant alkaloids, but plants from a few regions have been dominant in nicotine or anabasine [a nicotine-like alkaloid]. Heaps of other alkaloids, mostly tropines and tropanes, have been found in this species in smaller amounts.

thanks, peoples. I know of several younger people, below 20, who have experimented with teas made from the leaves of this plant. I had concluded some of the more deleterious effects sounded a lot like the datura, especially with the loss of vision.

Beware: im not sure if this plant has ANY beneficial properties - from what i have heard, any revelations are lost to memory, memory loss seems to go hand in hand with the activity of the components - ie,. if you think it's working, you probably wont remember anything.

Symtoms of persons dissociated on corkwood - conversations with people who are not present; illogical activities, like trying to eat inedible substances and absolute ignorance of surroundings. Tendencies to 'snap' back to reality, often whilst performing an act of ridiculousness. Not Recommended.

blackhashish wrote:

"Beware: im not sure if this plant has ANY beneficial properties"

Rectreationally- no.

Medicinally, however, D. myoporoides has long been cultivated for just those alkaloids.

"Not Recommended."

No; not. Except as a poison, perhaps. But that's kinda illegal. ;->

Guest Psilo_smylin

This may help. http://www.alkaloids.org/

"your natural source of scopolamine, hyoscine"

(Interesting anyway.)

smile.gif'n

[This message has been edited by Psilo_smylin (edited 03 January 2002).]