The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
celestariel

Fruiting

Hey guys,

I'm looking into my first grow now.

I have 3 different spore prints. I have used cubensis to make a spore syringe and have all the stuff ready now to start colonising my jars. Got brown rice flour and the vermiculite.

Have coco coir and straw and horse pooh for casing.

But before it all kicks off, I need to figure out what's the best way to do a home jobby, when fruiting.

I read the help file that's pinned to the myco section, which was great. But what conditions and temps do I need to make it fruit and how do I achieve that?

I'm in Perth WA, so the temp now is quite good for shrooming outside, but it will be indoors.

What do you guys use for a practical setup at home?

Is the hot house enough to maintain temp and humidity or do you use other tools.

I wish there was a mushroom union rep who would make call out visits to homes baring knowledge and carlton super dry's or maybe even some hot indian chai tea.

:)

Firstly, growing hallucinogenic fungi is illegal in Perth - so I would scrap everything you have before you get in trouble.

If of course you decide change your mind and go with an edible variety, then your on the right track, though a few pointers -

Straw and horse poo isnt used for casing, its used as a substrate. Casing layers must be non-nutritious as not to introduce contams.

And if you want to know the fruiting parameters of your particular variety then its best to do a googly search using the botanical name of the fungus of your choice to learn what it likes. Here is an example.

And thirdly, if you dont already know the pinning triggers for a colonised media then my advice is that you need to do a lot more reading to familiarise yourself with all aspects of a mushroom's life cycle before attempting your project or you will surely fail.

Its really not too hard and this is a good place to start.

Good luck!

I'm in Perth WA, so the temp now is quite good for shrooming outside, but it will be indoors.

The temp outside is good for fruiting of cool weather species. You are theoretically wanting to grow (ie grow spawn of) a warm weather species. You will think about fruiting later.

What I'm trying to say is - just because there are mushrooms coming up outside (those that are native to a winter rainfall area, Perth) doesn't mean you will have success growing mycelium of a mushroom that is native to summer rainfall areas.

Nearly all mushrooms will (and/or need to) fruit at lower temperatures than what they grow at.

Go a Mono tub with dual tub waterheater design for temp stability.

Ok,

Cool.

Thanks guys.

Thats some good feedback to work on.

My syringe will have to chill out in the fridge for a few weeks or so, while I research more?

Cheers.