The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
worowa

Native Edibles

G'day, I'm tring to get hold of some Fistulia hepatica, Hericium clathroides, and maybe some Laccocephalum mylittae. Have any of you tried culturing any of these? I'm keen to give them a go, if I find some I'ld be happy to pass some material on for others to experiment with.

No, I've not tried to grow them.

I've been lookin for them though, especially the first two you mentioned

for Hericium try rainforest

for Fistulina - dead Eucalyptus logs or stumps

Laccocephalum -look in Euc forest after fires or in disturbed areas. thats when they fruit apparently. :P

Anything like these guys? They popped out last week growing off live Marri redgum, there huge! I had a inkling they were edible.

th_24121_Photo0030_122_380lo.jpg th_24123_Photo0032_122_572lo.jpg

Sry for pic quality, they were taken with my mobile phone camera.

Edited by naja naja

Might be able to help with some wild Hericium. clathroides if you're interested. Haven't seen any yet this year but then haven't really been looking much.

Polyporus mylittae are apparrently relatively common here, though I've never knowingly spotted a fruit (or dug for sclerotia).

Maybe worth a look on the Otways camp.

ed

Edited by reshroomED

Thanks for the tips, I'ld be really keen on some Hericium clathroides ed., sounds just as tasty as erinaceus.

Naja, no, I don't think thats Fistulina hepatica. It's called the Beefsteak fungus, because it looks a bit like a slab of meat, reddish coloured (or liver, hence hepatica). Could be related. In other parts of the world its sometimes eaten either raw and finely sliced, or cooked. Has a sour taste. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Nah dude, it's a pic of Laccocephalum mylittae.

I had no idea wat it was until I googled that last night and the pics looked just like mine.

Good stuff naja, I was imagining Laccocephalum mylittae to look like a shroom I came across on River Red gums for some reason. An old Yorta Yorta mate of mine refered to it as "Blackfellas Bread", and it was a a soft spongy fruiting body. Maybe it was the same species, maybe not. Thanks for the photos, are you going to try and ID it using spores or a taxonomic key?

If you're sure it is Lacco. myl., then I'ld be keen on some spores or a culture, could do a trade.

Cheers

woops, fuct that up.

My pic is actually of this: Laetiporus portentosus

See here:http://www.anbg.gov.au/fungi/aboriginal.html