The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
paradox

cuttings from young trichs

alrighty, i have some questions if people don't mind helping me out:)

i have some young trich's grown from seed approximately 10cm tall & i am pondering whether i should take some cuttings from a couple at this stage.

what i want to know is:

What affect will taking cuttings at this young age have on the the plants when they eventually take root?

Will taking cuttings when they are this young impede the growth of the cutting when it takes root or is it better to take cuttings when the plants are older & larger?

i mean, if i take a cutting at this young age, will the cutting still grow into a big fat plant, the same way that it would if i left it the way it is or will the cutting tend to not be as vigorous & grow smaller & thinner?

know what i mean?

I'm no expert, but in my limited experience, small/young plants grow thinner/smaller. You're better off being patient and letting em fatten up before propogating imo.

Hi Paradox,

i wouldn´t try to root such a small cutting. There is a greater risk that both parts will die. It can work but i had many where it didn´t. Definately Not a thing you should do with rare cacti! Graft it onto a fast growing Pachanoi if you want to propagate it! It´s also very good for mass propagation! bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

Dude, check out my macro pics thread (posted week or so ago) - there is a pic of a rooted pach tip cut from which I halved at bout 15cm. Attached a pic of the bottom half that I grafted a loph on to last week.

But - I'd wait until growing season again though, and do it then.

Mine rooted literally within the week after callousing and the bottom rooted half pupped twice within a couple weeks too. They're both putting on fine growth :)

KlUe

post-2817-1179745913_thumb.jpg

post-2817-1179745925_thumb.jpg

i have some young trich's grown from seed approximately 10cm tall & i am pondering whether i should take some cuttings from a couple at this stage.

what i want to know is:

What affect will taking cuttings at this young age have on the the plants when they eventually take root?

Will taking cuttings when they are this young impede the growth of the cutting when it takes root or is it better to take cuttings when the plants are older & larger?

i mean, if i take a cutting at this young age, will the cutting still grow into a big fat plant, the same way that it would if i left it the way it is or will the cutting tend to not be as vigorous & grow smaller & thinner?

know what i mean?

You mean this?

This is a cutting and its motherplant. Cutting taken when motherplants was app. 10-14cm, under 2x 18W fluorescent bulbs.

Pictures include lighter that fits in the palm of your hand for comparisons.

post-3018-1180349034_thumb.jpg post-3018-1180349183_thumb.jpg

My idea after doing such thing to trichs from app. 10cm long is: do it when they are more evolved. It works well, but you'll end up with bonsai trich motherplants. They tend to fall over much too because of a weak base that tends to get mushy fast.

It will slow down growth, but you'll end up faster with more plants. If you do this, give them a code so you'll remember which clone is from what plant.

In my case, the cuttings I took grew as fast as the motherplants should grow.

Check out this one:

post-3018-1180349623_thumb.jpg

post-3018-1180349034_thumb.jpg

post-3018-1180349183_thumb.jpg

post-3018-1180349034_thumb.jpg

post-3018-1180349183_thumb.jpg

Edited by samoht