The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bark

codonocarpus cotinifolius

This small tree known as desert poplar or fire tree can be found in WA SA and NSW (apparently)and was used traditionally for toothache as well as for recreational purposes.

Seems to be threatened due to its short life span and dependence on fire for germination.

The leaves were rolled up and chewed for thier numbing effect.

The root bark was used for recreation but I am not sure how it was used.

Anyone know anything about its chemistry or uses.

Guest mulga

I've heard of this one, as their is a comment and photo of it in the book, Useful Bush Plants by Peter Bindon of WA.

My speculation is that no-one would really have any idea about the chemistry of this plant, aside perhaps from some Aboriginal people who have perhaps subjective experience of actually using the plant, aparently for toothache and as a general analgesic. Plus as you mentioned apparently as some sort of psychoactive by chewing the leaves.

Like thousands of Australian plants, no-one has looked at it or investigated it further. Of all the worlds plants, apparently something like less than %5 (which is something like 10-15 000 species checked out, mostly to a minimal extent, of a possible 250 000 or more worldwide) of all species have had even the most minimal investigation of their chemistry, for Australian plants that is an even lower percentage.

Sounds like a kind of attractive and interesting tree for arid areas. No idea about how easy it is to propogate.