The Corroboree
Sebas

What's happening below the ground?

Hi all,

What should the normal color be, of the part of a cactus that's below the ground?

I see it turn brownish-yellow. No problem you'd think.

But sometimes when I see a plant is in need of water (dehydrated ribs), I water it and check the next morning.

When it hasn't swollen up, I suspect there's a problem, so I lift it from it's pot to inspect it...

Then I discover that the brownish-yellow part below the ground is getting softer. :blink:

I wash the roots clean and let the thing dry completely for a while, or I chop it off to re-root it.

But what's going on? I mean, I use standard cactus soil and I don't think I'm over-watering them...

Thanks in advance!

post-1495-1178472779_thumb.jpg

First specimen looks like some sort of rot mate.. Usually they brown to the same colour under or around the roots, but shrivelling up like that is no good..

I doubt you'll be able to resurrect it, no harm in trying though.

edited typos

Edited by KlUe

Make sure your soilmix is draining properly,

Let the soil dry out a couple of days before you put any water.

# 1 looks like a goner # 2 might have a chance if you keep it on the dry side for a while.

Thanks guys.

This is no disaster, I only want to make sure I don't run into these problems again.

I'll start by mixing my soil up with drainage enhancing material... It pumice the way to go?

Edit: or perlite? or clay pebbles?

Edited by Sebas