The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bez

Hello! and some help please...

Hello there!

I have read a lot of good stuff on this site, particularly on the subject of grafting which is where I require some advice...

I made a graft of loph to peruvianus last tuesday, following the same steps as people have done on here. (sterilising tools, beveling edges etc) the graft itself appears fine as in it is firmly stuck to the main plant and is suffering no discolouration or black bits.

But....

The main plant has some bits that are going a rather worrying shade of dark green/almost black. When I made the first cuts these areas were a dark green colour and I was just wondering if this was a natural progression in that they are getting darker as they heal.

You guys seem to be well clued up so any help is welcome!

Here is the pic of the offending area, its the best i could do with the camera I've got I'm afraid

post-3272-1173776396_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum Bez.

I must say that does'nt look the best to me, although a better photo would be great as what i'm seeing may not be as bad as I think and might be caused alot by shadows cast across the stock.

My suggestion would be to re-graft on to a stock of San Pedro T. pachanoi [this is used as a stock alot more than T. peruvianus as the latter has larger spines that can interfere with the scion in time, not always though. Or try re-rooting the cutting. I would also post another clearer pic and also see what a few of the other members have to say about your predicament.

Personally myself though, I would get it off there quick smart.

Sorry to be a harbinger of Lophophora doom on your first post Bez :blink:

Hope to see you around the forums.

Enjoy.

Hi Bez,

welcome to the Forum!

The Harbinger of doom is right. :drool2: I´d change the grafting stock asap as this is going to spread. It looks like Bacterial Blotches. It´s also possible that your loph is allready contaminated. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

DOH!

:BANGHEAD2:

My worst fears confirmed....

I'll keep an eye on it and if it goes proper black I'll whip it off tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice people! I'll try and get a better pic for you tonight

Let me know how it all pans out for you Bez.

Will admit to you here and now that my first Lophophora williamsii graft died!!! :(

Was very upset about that.

I used the wrong type of stock and was doing the whole procedure at a bad time of year [autumn-winter] in a not so favourable climate.

My second one is my baby and learnt from my previous mistakes with her, just look at her:

Picture%20002.jpg

..the little pot you can see to the side contains my new graft which came from my baby and hopefully she will yield another good pup or two for next seasons graftings.

She hasn't flowered yet, but she dose'nt get much light, that is why she is so very green.

I will indeed,

That is a very nice plant you have there! is it caespitosa variety? I have some seeds arriving soon of that variety! :) how long does it take for the exposed pcahanoi to go brown and properly callous over like that? Also I have planted the tip of the cactus I grafted onto back into some dry soil, the wound has gone nice and dry. Any idea how long until it roots itself? and when is it best to start watering it?

Thanks

Edited by Bez

That is a very nice plant you have there! is it caespitosa variety?

Thanks. She is a very loved plant.

No am pretty sure she is just plain old Lophphora williamsii, although I will be seeing the fellows I bought her off on the weekend and ask whether it is or not [if they can remember], had her for a bout 4 years now.

How long does it take for the exposed pachanoi to go brown and properly callous over like that?

I would'nt have said it was brown. More of an off white if you ask me. From a few weeks to a month IME to callous.

Also I have planted the tip of the cactus I grafted onto back into some dry soil, the wound has gone nice and dry.

It is usually suggested that you turn the cutting upside down let it callous and then wait for the root primordia or roots to form before planting out. Though you also don't want to stress it out by grafting then de-grafting then planting then removing for further drying etc. They are sensitive plants IME. I would plant the one you have now, make sure the potting media stays dry until you get some roots. If she dies, try and buy a new one, or wait for your seeds [might be waiting a while] to grow and graft them at a young age onto a Pereskiopsis sp. for accelerated growth rate.

Any idea how long until it roots itself?

Can take months, depends on climate really.

When is it best to start watering it?

When the roots have formed, but you should NEVER over water as they are very sensitive to this. Water in growing season when they dry right out and rarely if ever in the dormant period. You are able to change your watering schedule a little when you have a scion that is grafted to a stock like T. pachanoi as the latter prefer a little more water than the Lophophora sp. though I would'nt go over the top with this, I would only increase the watering in the growing season slightly and if you see any detrimental changes, immediately go back to your original watering schedule.

Edited by tonic