The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

slippery jack?

HI, found these on the weekend... They look like slippery jacks, and have the sponge like gills. The reason I post is the slippery jacks from my homeland are a darker brown than these... so I am not sure if they are slippery jacks. also, these arn't as slimy (but that could be due to the weather, which could also explain the cap colour) anyway, i leave it to you guys to discuss, thanks

I guess I should actually include a photo.

post-2407-1173175291_thumb.jpg

Edited by shroomytoonos

They look like slipperies to me from the top. They only turn slimy in wet weather. It would be good to see a pic of the underside just to make sure. I'm curious where is your homeland?

They look like slipperies to me from the top. They only turn slimy in wet weather. It would be good to see a pic of the underside just to make sure. I'm curious where is your homeland?

victoria, ha!! exotic, i know. The underside was spongelike, but I failed to take a clear photo. are there look alikes? to be honest though, I dont really like the taste of these, but would like my partner to try them.. I have other favs from the wild, saffron caps and shaggy ink caps(my absolute fav)

lol. Well they look like slipperies to me from the top and they have the gregarious habit of slipperies and obviously growing under a pine tree there. and if they have ths spongy pore-like gills as you say. If you wanna eat them i find its best to remove both the skin by peeling and also the spongy gills. What you have left is quite good tasting.