The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ENtiTY

Wild Myc harvestin?

Is it possible to harvest myc from a wild shroom patch?

I was thinking this migh be an easier way of collecting when combined with a peroxide tecnique.

Any thoughts?

i don't really know, but i'd have thought that was a pretty bad idea.

not because it can't be done, but because you may end up destroying the wild patch & thereby deprive others ov the shroom magic, & because if it doesn't work you'll have deprived yourself as well.

Again i don't know, but if you have the means to grow the myc wouldn't it be only a little harder to grow from the spores & not risk the destruction?

UTFSE here and EBA when it's back up, you'll more than likely find lots of info.

Mycelium Running or any other P. Stamets book, as well as the other range of myco authors will also answer your question.

Primarily you will be looking at moist corrugated cardboard.

Literally you only need a single colonised woodchip or mycelial fragment, so you do not have to cause any negative impacts on the wild patch at all, less than a foraging bird!

Personally I don't like the idea of digging up a patch for many reasons and these cardboard cloning methods essentially make shovel harvesting mycelium obsolete which is excellent.

If you are looking at wanting to culture them in vitro, peroxide etc. you can simply take a tissue clone from a collection fruiting body (pref. without the stem but i.e. snipped at ground level). Else the cardboard will work for outdoor.

I agree with nabraxas, there's no need for any destruction if you approach it with well educated intent :)

edit: re: outdoor and peroxide...more than likely you will not need it if you are using a selective substrate like cardboard/wood (well for woodlovers), wild specimens are adapted to their external environment and accordingly are excreting protective enzymes etc. which gives it a time frame to successfully establish itself against its competitors.

Edited by gerbil

Even the small amounts of myc on the base of wild mushrooms can be grown further. I have never tried it properly, so I dont know about contamination etc.

I'm sure you could obtain wild myc without doing any more damage than that done by picking the mushroom. You would only need the smallest piece, just a starting point for a culture of some sort. Using a shovel to obtain myc would be like using a flame thrower to kill an ant. A pair of tweezers would be more than adequate.

My reasoning is that myc is resistant to peroxide and as such harvesting myc instead of spores may make it easier to produce a clean culture when incorperated with a peroxide tek. Granted, you could go for a tissue sample from the centre of a cup, but if the species is delicate in structure then this may prove more difficult than snaging some myc.

Anyway I just thought i'd put the notion out there. Havern't seen that much info on this avenue and wondered why it wasn't mentioned more.

Thanx for the input pplz.

Has anyone tried this first hand. Just curious about experiences and pros/cons.

I'm sure you could obtain wild myc without doing any more damage than that done by picking the mushroom. You would only need the smallest piece, just a starting point for a culture of some sort. Using a shovel to obtain myc would be like using a flame thrower to kill an ant. A pair of tweezers would be more than adequate.

My reasoning is that myc is resistant to peroxide and as such harvesting myc instead of spores may make it easier to produce a clean culture when incorperated with a peroxide tek. Granted, you could go for a tissue sample from the centre of a cup, but if the species is delicate in structure then this may prove more difficult than snaging some myc.

Anyway I just thought i'd put the notion out there. Havern't seen that much info on this avenue and wondered why it wasn't mentioned more.

Thanx for the input pplz.

Has anyone tried this first hand. Just curious about experiences and pros/cons.

Can't see why it wouldn't work. There'd be many ways to achieve the outcome.

You seem to have pretty much answered your question, the second post is a bit more informative than the first :unsure: so i'm guessing you actually want to culture a species indoors to varying extents.

Get a few fragments of woodchips that are well colonised, place as many as you want on h202 nutrient agar, incubate, subculture growth and continue until a clean isolate is established.

I'd imagine you could run into multiple issues, as many times multiple species exist intertwined within each other in a natural environment, even on a single woodchip you may have more than 1 species, so when you try and isolate some fresh growth on an agar plate you won't know exactly what species it'll be until you fruit it.

I don't know what species you are aiming for, but I think for most people, the specimens they want to culture will have sufficient size, rigidity, inner tissue etc for tissue cloning and will be alot easier than trying to isolate from a outdoor woodchip.

And yes a shovel for mycelium harvesting is overkill but it's pretty hard to not come across a patch that's been dug up in such a fashion during winter, people do do it and with the vague post I thought it was an important bit of information to include to discourage.