The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Acacia holosericea

I was reading today that this acacia species contains the alkloid Hordenine in its bark, which is also present in a number of cacti species. Has anyone experimented with this acacia?

Hello Darcy,

I think agood question to ask would be, if anyone has any experience with plants high in hordenine.

Although if there are some other alkaloids present in significant amounts, that might synergize or work as an antagonis / agonist in the acacia then it would indeed be an interesting think to look into or thus a good question.

Here's some info I dug up from the net.

Hordenine seems to have the following effects

Anti-asthmaic

Cardiotonic

Vasocontructive

http://www.medwet.lublin.pl/Year%202000/vo...4/art144-99.htm

a short interesting read on Hordenine from which I got the following.

"The pharmacological profile of hordenine shows that its stimulatory action on the respiratory and cardiovascular systems is short-lived and appears only when a high dose of the compound is used.Because the effects are limited in time, the compound does not alter psychomotor activity in horses. It seems that hordenine is not a stimulant in the strict sense of the word. No data is available showing its stimulatory effect on isolated limbs or on muscle activity."

Hmmmm...., even the horses are on something smile.gif

http://www.siena.edu/boswell/newpage7.htm

Hordenine- This alkaloid is isolated from barley, in which has a big effect on the heart muscle. It can also cause paralysis in the Central Nervous System in frogs. As you increase the dosage, hypertension and accelerated pulse occurs.

So yeah , any hordenine experience out there?