The Corroboree
Crunchyz

The smell of fresh phalaris grass?

I'm pretty sure what I found was a type of phalaris grass, but it could be something else.

When the grass was crushed, the smell produced was one of the strongest i've ever experienced from a plant, it literally made me want to be sick and I was VERY close to doing so... I can't explain what it smelled like since I don't know anything to compare it too, other than to say it had a strong 'green' smell to it.

Can anyone say if this sounds like phalaris? I'd like to know what others think phalaris smells like too.

I just this moment tore some of my pot-bound phalaris (aquatica), crused it and it smells like your typical lawn grass, not overpowering in the slightest.

yeah just like normal grass

Can you get some photos please? Good quality photos and adjoining information will always get you the best response.

My guess is that you've mistaken it for Anthoxanthum odoratum, Sweet Vernal Grass, it has a sickly sweet courmarin scent, especially the roots. When mature, the flower heads can be mistaken for Phalaris.

Google image it and let us know what you think.

My guess is that you've mistaken it for Anthoxanthum odoratum, Sweet Vernal Grass, it has a sickly sweet courmarin scent, especially the roots. When mature, the flower heads can be mistaken for Phalaris.

Thanks all, I think it is Anthoxanthum odoratum... :wacko:

I don't have any fresh stuff left to take a picture of, but next time i'm out looking for the real phalaris I will grab some of this fake one too.

BTW, I have ordered some aquatica seeds so I if I can't find any around here i'll just grow my own.

Edited by Crunchyz

You shouldn't have a problem finding Phalaris in melbourne, the stuff is everywhere; but it'll be a pain if not in flower.

Best place to search is within areas of farming, and especially in these areas near drainage lines/watercourses.

BTW, I have ordered some aquatica seeds so I if I can't find any around here i'll just grow my own.

Good one, crunch. It's piss-easy to grow, and if you've gotten seeds from a reputable source, you can be fairly certain of what you're cultivating.

After a few months of looking dead over the winter, season 2 has made my PA flourish, and I have six heads on it ! Might end up with a 100 seeds if my speculations are correct. It only grows in a 200mm pot, so I don't know if there's ever going to be enough to harvest for 'scientific purposes', but I just like it being an active addition to the 'cosmic garden'

You shouldn't have a problem finding Phalaris in melbourne, the stuff is everywhere; but it'll be a pain if not in flower.

Best place to search is within areas of farming, and especially in these areas near drainage lines/watercourses.

I searched mainly near the creek that runs through my town. There are a lot of farms/sheep/horses etc. along this creek so I guess it's a good place, just need to be patient :)

Good one, crunch. It's piss-easy to grow, and if you've gotten seeds from a reputable source, you can be fairly certain of what you're cultivating.

After a few months of looking dead over the winter, season 2 has made my PA flourish, and I have six heads on it ! Might end up with a 100 seeds if my speculations are correct. It only grows in a 200mm pot, so I don't know if there's ever going to be enough to harvest for 'scientific purposes', but I just like it being an active addition to the 'cosmic garden'

I ordered them from SAB so I think the seeds will be fine, it's my first order but i've heard good comments from other people.

Is there any reason why you don't take your grass out of the pot and let it run free? I was planning on doing that in my backyard.

I ordered them from SAB so I think the seeds will be fine, it's my first order but i've heard good comments from other people.

You won't have any problems with receiving what you ordered then :lol: The rest is up to you.

Is there any reason why you don't take your grass out of the pot and let it run free? I was planning on doing that in my backyard.

Yea, I can dream. But I'm living in a rented apartment. Good luck to you if you have a yard to let run. By observing the characteristics, I see no reason why you couldnt have a whole lawn of the stuff, and mow it every so often for a victa-catcher full of yield !

Don't take my word for that though, its only speculation.

Yeah there's no reason why you couldn't have a Phalaris lawn, does likes a good drink.

It grows tenfold in a year.

Yeah there's no reason why you couldn't have a Phalaris lawn, does likes a good drink.

It grows tenfold in a year.

So you're suggesting that as a lawn it would need more than your typical urban lawn species ? That would make sense, I woul hope that over the years a hardy cover would have been developed. But if phalaris is thirsty, a lawn would be no good in Sydney (although I note that noun & crunch are in VIC) as we have pretty hardcore water restrictions - rightly so, as the dams are not filling up to maintain peoples trends towards wastefulness.

Can either of you tell me of the water restrictions in Melbourne ? In Sydney we can only use the hose twice a week, and never to wash cars. There are 'rangers' who partols the burbs (I have seen them) and also spiteful neighbours who have been known to 'dob in' over-users.

Can either of you tell me of the water restrictions in Melbourne ? In Sydney we can only use the hose twice a week, and never to wash cars. There are 'rangers' who partols the burbs (I have seen them) and also spiteful neighbours who have been known to 'dob in' over-users.

The water restrictions here are very harsh too. Although i'm pretty sure we can water each second day. It doesn't rain often, and when it does it hardly soaks in to the soil at all, it's bad...

So.. yeah, when I read that phalaris likes to drink, I thought... good luck with that :lol:

It's easy enough to keep a potted plant happy with water but not so easy for a whole lawn full.

EDIT: The government is putting ADs all over television telling us to get rainwater tanks... but they must think that these tanks just magically fill up somehow? It's not raining fools!

Edited by Crunchyz

Stage 4 restrictions where I reside. Caught a glimpse of a TV tonight that had no volume- possible escalation of Melbourne and surrounding areas water restrictions? If so, about bloody time! If true, amazing this has occured a couple of weeks after the state election.

Green Osiris- I am using first flush cold water from shower on plants where i live (rental, no rain water tanks.) This is a small collection. Have moved majority of plants to my parents house, also stage 4, but dam and large water tank capacity. Thanks mum and dad :wub:

Green Osiris- I am using first flush cold water from shower on plants where i live (rental, no rain water tanks.)

Good idea. I also use shower water, have a bucket to catch it while it 'warms up' and whatever falls in there when I wash - This then gets used for either watering or cleaning floors etc. I only use natural soaps, so contamination is minimum. Also the rinse cycle run-off in the laundry goes onto the shared garden on the premises - has'nt hurt it in two years. But again I use safe, phosphate-free "Ark" endorsed powder : )