The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
parzival

Brigdesii problem?

I'm going have to do my best to describe my problem since i don't own a camera. I took a tiny cutting of a bridgesii, about an inch or so of the tip, it has been forming a callous for about a week now. I appears to have some spots on it, on the base and at the top. The spots on the callous look like bruising, It was cut with a fairly sharp kitchen knife, but it had to be forced a bit, its a couple of small brown smudges on adjacent ribs, is this bad? The ones on the point are what i am more concerned about, on the central curve of each rib at the top of the cutting, there seems to be what look like burns, but are not. Dry spots maybe? is this common? thier colouring is a mixture light grey, brown and black, and it is only one small streak at the top on each rib. otherwise the cutting looks healthy, still a nice colour and not too soft. Its lost some of its spines due to them being pulled out for preparation, maybe it was knocked around a little before we even got it. I have it sitting in a paper bag if that makes any difference at all.

I just want to see if anyone has had similar symptoms, and if these wont be serious problems.

Edited by Parcifal

A picture says a thousand words :)

Bridgesii are more prone to rot than other trichs.

If you feel the spots with a finger, is it soft or firm ?

Are the spots growing ?

If its firm and the spots are not growing then your cutting will probably be ok.

If the spots are soft you might have softrot and it will start to weep.

It kills the cactus and transform the insides into black liquid if not kept in very dry conditions.

Whats with the paper bag ?

Why not keep it out in the open ?

I never heard of curing a cutting before :lol:

The bag might contain unwanted moisture and your bridgesii needs to be kept dry until it forms roots.

Edited by libertycaps

yeah i must get my hands on a camera. the spots are firm, don't appear to be growing. the reason for the bag was that my room can get a little smoky, and i didn't know if this would affect the cutting.

cheers