The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Could it be??

I on the great ocean road yesterday and a little after Aireys Inlet a particular tree stood out (why didn't i take a picture??) which fits the description of a phleb.. is this possible? Dark green phyllodes oval shaped (but not so much as i've seen in all pics...) ~6cm flowers etc etc...

I'm 90% sure its not phleb.. but could it be? Are you aware of any other acacias with similar properties to the phleb?

Infloresence as a cylindrical spike?

Possibly A. sophorae (A. longifolia ssp. sophorae) ?

Coastal Wattle

I have seen some Coastal wattles (A. sophorae) with quite wide phyloids, resembling phleb phyloids you see in the pictures. (Wilson's Prom area)

Check the plant again and take some piccies and if you are down there later in the year, take some seed.

Edited by Ed Dunkel

There are quite a few different acacias in the Otway region, v sophorae being one of the more common (especially along the coast - hence the name) and likely what you saw. Also classed as a noxious weed in the area.

I'm not big on acacia id's but can get seed (in season) of any local varieties if anyone's interested.

cheers

ed

I seem to remember reading somewhere that sophora was active in some way.. :huh::unsure: cant remember where tho, I think it was over at eba.

A. sophorae is a subspecies or variety of longifolia, depending on who you talk to, and has been found active in some locations.