The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

Vaporiser for botanicals?

Just wondering whether anyone here uses a vaporiser to "smoke" their stuff. I've just learned about these devices which can be expensive for some models to "smoke" weed. The active compound is vaporised leaving behind the other plant material which doesn't burn and therefore release the harmful tars and pyrrolitic compounds.

I wonder whether this would work for DMT plants? Whether the vaporisation point for DMT would allow such techniques.

One of the better machines fills a balloon with the active vapor material. One simply takes the bag, lies themselves down and inhales. SImple. No risk of fire, no need for a catcher or anything.

Which other materials might be suitable for vaporisation I wonder? Comments or ideas anyone?

I made one in my youth.

Get a piece of 4x8, about 6 inches long, drill a hole through it and mount a solder iron on it (adjustable soldering iron is best).

Cut a hole in a jar lid and silicon seal it on the piece of wood so that the soldering iron is poking through the middle.

Make sure the jar is big enough so that when it is put back on, the soldering iron fits in the jar.

Make sure it seals well.

Drill a suction and a shoty hole and put a bit of plastic pipe on the suction hole so you can use it easily

Use a grinder to take the bottom off a cone piece till it fits over the soldering iron tip

Pack the bowl and adjust the soldering heat accordingly.

I found that at the right temp the herb would vaporise, producing no smoke at all and leaving the herb looking untouched, but when felt by hand it has been reduced to the consistency of ash!

since poppies have been cropping up here recently....someone over at poppies.org mentioned having some success w/vapourising roughly chopped dried pods.

many, many years ago i purchased a vapouriser which sounds to be very similar in design to that which foolsbreath describes.

while in theory they are a much healthier method of consumption than j's or a billy, i found it quite difficult to get a satisfactory temperature of the soldering iron "bowl". if its left plugged in then it heats up excessively and fries your herb, and if its not left on long enough then nothing seems to vaporise. also, the "vapour" was often uncomfortably hot.

very fiddly. what it needed was an accurate and adjustable thermostat. perhaps nowadays commercial vaporisers do have these features?

with some practise toggling power on/off one would no doubt get the hang of it and find it a suitable method, however i must admit that after initial unsatisfactory results i really didn't make the effort to perfect the technique, quite an impatient little stoner i was :P

eNo, in terms of tryptamine herb, i imagine that the amount of heat produced by a vapouriser would make for quite a harsh smoke, considering dm is not the smoothest smoke at the best of times. but i cannot comment from experience as i have never vapourised tryptamine containing herbs. if only it were legal to try such a thing *sigh*

many, many years ago i purchased a vapouriser which sounds to be very similar in design to that which foolsbreath describes.

while in theory they are a much healthier method of consumption than j's or a billy, i found it quite difficult to get a satisfactory temperature of the soldering iron "bowl". if its left plugged in then it heats up excessively and fries your herb, and if its not left on long enough then nothing seems to vaporise. also, the "vapour" was often uncomfortably hot.

very fiddly. what it needed was an accurate and adjustable thermostat. perhaps nowadays commercial vaporisers do have these features?

with some practise toggling power on/off one would no doubt get the hang of it and find it a suitable method, however i must admit that after initial unsatisfactory results i really didn't make the effort to perfect the technique, quite an impatient little stoner i was :P

eNo, in terms of tryptamine herb, i imagine that the amount of heat produced by a vapouriser would make for quite a harsh smoke, considering dm is not the smoothest smoke at the best of times. but i cannot comment from experience as i have never vapourised tryptamine containing herbs. if only it were legal to try such a thing *sigh*

This is the model I was alluding to btw---

http://www.thevolcanovaporizer.com/whatisthevolcano.htm

valcanounit.jpg

Seems nicely built but it's horribly expensive.

I have a commercial vapouriser which is essentially just a soldering iron + hotplate, and the heat does seem limited. For example, with primo herb, it reaches a point where no more vapour is being produced, but the dregs still have a kick when combusted. The device in fact seems to separate the heady from the sedating substances. Apart from considerations of temperature, another point is that is only worth smoking whole herbs which have a decent concentration of goodies in the first place. Otherwise, extracts may be the go.

Do a google search on: lightbulb vapourizer