The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest electro

Supercritical Butane Salv-A Extraction

let us know if you ever have success with that. your point about the co2 leads me to speculate that this should be an outdoor thing.

Originally posted by theobromos:

The dry salt may be more stable but imine formation occurs with salts of amines in solution as well as freebase, doesn't it?

I hadn't heard of that one, and would be interested in knowing more. As I see it, amine -> imine is an oxidation, right? Something has to grab a H+ away from the methyl group in order to create a double bond. Possible basic candidates include free base alkaloids, water, and organic anions like acetates. Assuming there is no free base present, I would have thought the other routes would be thermodynamically unfavourable and would have to involve some serious catalysis.

I have heard that highly acid environments promote the dimerisation of methcathinone, and so maybe that is an argument for keeping the pH around 5 in the case of cathinone extraction.

I can't get to a library and check on the formation of imines but in this case the oxidation comes from the ketone group of the other cathinone molecule that is forming the dimer.