The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eiac

Supposedly echinocereus. ID?

Question

Picked up a bunch of plants in Rotorua last week. He told me the name, but with his incredibly strong unidentifiable european accent, I didn't want to get him to repeat himself a third time...

Externally hosted pic so non-members can see it.

post-1140-0-88311800-1418586578_thumb.jp

ID much appreciated!

post-1140-0-88311800-1418586578_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-88311800-1418586578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

Hello eiac! It would be better if you could please use the standard Picture Uploader because these kinds of Threads turn into Link-Graves after a couple of months and i am always happy when i see a 5 yo Thread where all the pics are still intact. Besides, the Link looks kinda weird. What Picture Service is this?

The Plant is a very neat Echinocereus but it will be hard to give an ID without a Flower Pic. There are many Echinocereus that look very similar. Pentalophus, triglochidatus, and so on.

• Like 2

Hi again, i have edited your Post because i came across Security Warnings about the Site/Software in Question. Not sure if the Service is dodgy but i don´t trust the Site.

fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd is facebook's file server, so you can pretty much guarantee the link would stay intact forever, hence why I used that link. Whatever security warnings you got would have been false positives. I'm assuming some other dodgy people on the net use akamai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies) for their hosting, so it leads some filters to block the whole domain..

I've always found it pretty prohibitive to browse forums where attachments cannot be viewed without an account.. Usually makes someone turn away at first contact when threads show up in google results (as they often do)

Was late for the flower by about a week- you can see a shriveled up purple bloom to the right, if that helps. I'll get a few more pictures today when I visit the greenhouse.

Edited by eiac

Hi Eiac,

alright thanks for letting me know. Surprised Facebook uses a german Server. There is a Virus with the same Name and my Software was probably producing a false Alarm. Am pretty careful because i´ve been hacked before because i clicked on external Links and had a whole lot of horseshit with some Accounts as a result.

I´ll check my Echinocereus Book because of the Flower. Pretty sure i know that One you described.