The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
swim

Does tau-fluvalinate burn cacti like pyrethrin?

Hi all, 

I bought a dual-action insecticide/fungicide mixture containing myclobutanil as fungicide and tau-fluvalinate as the pesticide. I read about this tau-fluvalinate and it turns out that it is a pyrethroid insecticide, meaning it is a different molecule but structurally similar to pyrethrin. I read here that pyrethrin burns cacti but couldn't find info on tau-fluvalinate. Anyone had their cacti burn after using this chemical? 

Cheers

*I went systemic to treat some nasty rot caused by mold possibly due to the long time a cutting spent in postage. I noticed the woody tissue in the vascular bundle was somewhat affected even though the rest of the section looked pretty healthy: 

This is the vascular bundle after my first cut (notice the darkened woody tissue)

20191118_201956.thumb.jpg.4e94620af159e7dc96aacef60d633908.jpg

And this the vascular bundle after my second cut

20191118_202008.thumb.jpg.9e14f8dda5f4b5c0fe01d78de72536f8.jpg

Do you think this is a legit cause of concern or should I just sulfur it and let it dry ? I heard the remaining fungus can move  up through the woody tissue so I would like to make it 100% clean.

Hey mate, it looks perfectly fine now. Leave it as it is. If you keep it at a not too cold place with low air humidity and lots of fresh air it should be alright. If not post it again. 

About the pesticide. Haven't used it before, but definitely possible it causes burns. Don't ever use pesticides in direct sunlight. Also make sure to follow the dosage recommendations religiously. Bye EG 

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1

Thanks EG,

I am aware of the magnifying glass-effect of the sprayed pesticides/fungicides and avoid it alltogether. I sprayed a small trich to test the effects of tau-fluvalinate and will post again to share the results. As far as I understand certain chemicals (like pyrethrin) can trigger a reaction  that results in breakdown of cactus tissue into brown or black mush. My plants spontaneously develop these patches of black blisters with exudates very similar to what people report after chemical applications. Makes me wonder if all cases of "rots" are really due to infections or cacti are just exposed to chemicals that disagree with their tissues.

* Tested out fluvalinate on a small bridgesii a week ago and to my observation it did not affect the plant. Today I sprayed a pup and a fresh tip growth on the same plant to see if newly growing tissue is sensitive.

Pachanoi, bridgesii or peruvianus did not react to this pesticide pup or adult. I haven't tried it on a fresh cut section or very small seedlings, but it looks safe otherwise.

Edited by swim