The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

Anybody recommend an electrician or cabbler in Sydney

Hey guys. Need to get a phone line installed at new place I'm renting just for adsl line.

Land lord is no help despite it being pretty clear that there was once a line and socket for this apartment, and my guess is that they had used the previous phone outlet for what is now satellite coax. Telstra says there had in fact been a line connected so go figure.

so if anybody is or knows someone on the level who will charge appropriately for the job please let me know.

I had an easygoing experience with Mr Switch electricals twice in the last year and a bit. Not sure if they're a franchise but they were competent and not ripoffs. I'd prefer to give the jobs to local guys but having been ripped off by tradies a few times I'm hesitant. Although that said there's no guarantee that big companies won't rip you off either - FUCK YOU BLUE HAVEN POOLS.

• Like 2

Hey indigo, can you explain the previous outlet? Normally a phone line is two pairs of cables I.e. 4 wires and the cable is called 2 pair, because they use 1 pair for the phone line and pair is a a spare. It saves having to run new line every time something goes wrong with the single pair. Adsl is usually run down the same 2 pair as the phone. If you can explain more i.e. type of building, nearest pit (where the cables run to underground) etcetc I could guide you to do it urself, its unusual that they removed the cable? Photos?

I would do it for you but I'm in Qld, its not hard tho.

PM If you like.

Edited by in_spirit
  • Like 1

Hey indigo, can you explain the previous outlet? Normally a phone line is two pairs of cables I.e. 4 wires and the cable is called 2 pair, because they use 1 pair for the phone line and pair is a a spare. It saves having to run new line every time something goes wrong with the single pair. Adsl is usually run down the same 2 pair as the phone. If you can explain more i.e. type of building, nearest pit (where the cables run to underground) etcetc I could guide you to do it urself, its unusual that they removed the cable? Photos?

I would do it for you but I'm in Qld, its not hard tho.

PM If you like.

There are no phone sockets what so ever in the apartment (which is an old house that was turned into a couple of apartments, mine is bottom floor). Telstra has confirmed a previous connection to the unit number but no sockets.

There are only foxtel coax ports. I've heard of foxtel technicians removing phone line connections to use the spot for a coax socket when there was no need to for a phone line.

The main comm box for the 333-335 of my street is around the other side of the house, but a line runs straight through to my side along a pipe to a connection (where my line would connect) which has the phone line for the upstairs unit attached. There is another cable connected there besides upstair phone lines that runs about 1/2 meter in the direction towards my front door but obviously was cut... so I guess that it could have once been the line to my appartment but no longer is.