The Corroboree
bio

wanted: Euterpe oleracea

Hiyas ... I been researching this palm, and trying to find seeds.... finding it more difficult that i had imagined considering it's everywhere in juice form.

I was just on to Austrahort this morning, they called their supplier, and it's difficult to source them for some reason.

I'm just bought the jelly palm, and the chilien wine palm (huge tall thing) but what I really want is the acai palm (Euterpe oleracea) for the raved about juice.

going to try my luck with Theobroma cacao... it's said they dont like the northern rivers so much, so I'm creating a small rainforest area for them to live in.

have a thick of bamboos that block the higher altitude winds we get here, so thats what the jelly palm will be for too ..... wind breaks.

and avo's and maybe icecream bean..... rather have an avo if I have my choice!!! .... for the shade.

if there's anyone who can input from growing chocloate successfully would be awesome ... i'll be stoked.

thanks for the read... :rolleyes:

so yah.... "Euterpe oleracea" Acai palm :wub:http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Euterpe/oleracea.html

thanks heaps :) cheers

Can I ask where you got the Theobroma cacao from ???

I am looking for either viable seed, or a sapling.

Does anyone know where I can get these from ???

Thanks

hiya SL.

as for theobroma cacao, it was a trade between someone from this forum or entho'australia forum.

re: euterpe oleracea, I found mine (seedlings) on ebay, seeds seem difficult to germinate, need to be very fresh.

My seedlings are growing well, the ones that survived like a shaded environment, mine are amongst bamboo shelter, and a giant Fig tree, lots of mulch, but mostly ... dappled shade, or you WILL kill them.

my cacao died, so i cant say what it did or didnt like, much the same tho, semi shade.

try ... Daley's nursury, http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/ should have some luck there :)

happy growing :)

Will

Can I ask where you got the Theobroma cacao from ???

I am looking for either viable seed, or a sapling.

Does anyone know where I can get these from ???

Thanks

SAB has Acai Palm seedlings, but not seeds.

Sounds like you are getting together a nice micro environment in your yard, bio.

I've had troubles keeping T. cacao alive over the years, here in Perth. It depends how

cold the winter gets.

Finally I did get one growing very well, and it acclimatised somewhat over successive

winters. About a metre tall, it was positioned in my front yard, until some lunatic

ran over it in a car, at night.

I'd love to source some more viable seed, or a plant to try again.

I contacted Daley's a few months ago, but they said all their sprouts had failed this year.