The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Lupus

San Pedro?

What exactly is the pharmacology of San Pedro? How is it used? I recently moved into a house w/ 2&1/2 acres attached and am working on planting it out, could this grow outside? On the property I have probably 50 Datura plants that grow wild there, is it a good area for San Pedro?

P.S. I am also considering putting in a few rows of tobacco. Good area??

Guest reville

have you tried cross posting?

All i can sufggest is cross checking the USDA climate zones for mid lattitude peru with Yours...

By the way has anyone in australia not been able to grow pedros? Any tassies ou there

How about south islander kiwis?

Guest John

I see you're from California. Central to Southern california is desert climate, so they grow absolutely fine! I even grow some in the salty costal air, and they are doing great. They are quite hardy, but we don't get frost here.

John

We get frost down here in Melbourne, Vic a handful of nights a year and they seem to handel it (grown in pots outside).

Grown in the ground they probably handel it even better if they are shaded from winter rains (or have great drainage).

They are quite hardy

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 16 October 2000).]

I live in the central San Joaquin Valley, where just about anything grows. The summer temps normally hit a high of about 115 deg. F and the winters can hit a low of about 17 deg. F. I was hoping to just plant out on the property, eventually naturalize. Do you think it would get too cold? Maybe grow out indoors and when more mature and hardy slowly harden off to the extremes?

To answer the original question, the pharmacology of san pedro is largely the pharmacology of mescaline. You can find some info on it at www.erowid.org .

The book Sacred Cacti by K. Trout and others is highly recommended. It's probably stocked at this site, otherwise you can order it directly, let me just find the info...

US $39.95 + $3 S/H

Trout's Notes

POB 161061

Austin TX 78716

Whilst it is a bit scattered, it has a wealth of information about pharmacology, effects, cultivation etc of san pedro and also heaps of information about mescaline-bearing cacti in general and as Trout likes to say, "more than you need to know?"...