The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Øskorei

Inner City Sustainable Living

Guest Øskorei

Despite the challenges faced in retro-fitting homes with cleaner energy solutions, sustainability supermodel Michael Mobbs, from Sydney's inner-city suburb of Chippendale has created an example of what's possible.

In the late 1990's, Michael Mobbs & family (MM&F) decided to take the renovation route, as many young families do. An effort was made to hold high considerations for a sustainable household, and he has done just that - without creating an urban eyesore and staying within a modest budget (when compared to 'typical' renovation budgets).

Solar Power:

Relaying details from my notes when attending a seminar a number of years ago, MM&F are running 16 x 120watt solar panels as well as a solar hot water system. Feeding back into the electricity grid as opposed to cell storage, the house generates approx 6000kwh per year & saved six tonnes of coal from being fired up. To maximise efficiency of this set up, energy-efficient globes and high 'star-rated' appliances were operating throughout the house - all of which in 2007 are much cheaper and more widespread if consumers take the time to do some shopping around.

Upon visiting the house a year later (MM&F ran weekly 'open-house' sessions at the time), he was quite obviously ecstatic that he had recently received his first energy bill that reported a credit on the invoice (ie the house was generating more than the household was using), and showed the bill to us, almost as a young sportsman might show off a football trophy.

Water Management:

More than a mere showcase for solar energy, MM&F installed semi-sealed roof guttering to keep debris out, which is installed to collect as much water as the roof-area can capture. The downpipes are installed with a fine mesh in order to capture the smaller particles of debris that make it past the gutter network. This is directed into an 8000L water tank built below a decking area. This was 'plumbed up' for use in the house for all their water requirements.

Including drinking water! Using a method in which I can't recall at the moment, the first 50 or so litres from each rainfall was diverted AWAY from the main tank to minimise contamination from any shit that built up on the roof since the last downpour. Being so close to the CBD (ie a couple of km's), the polluted air would no doubt leave some serious residues.

It was reported that the house's drinking water was in fact safer than the town water through conventional supply. Whether this is a result of study or a flight of fancy is not known, although I recall there were studies conducted by one of the Universities.....

Sewage & Greywater:

A second tank buried out the back takes in the 'crap' water, as well as vegetable scraps and compostable materials such as paper, which is then composted by the addition of microorganisms (or worms?) and layers of coir, which filters out/destroys the nasties AND the filtered water is pumped back in to be used for toilet flushing again !

Forgive me if this information is a little out-of-date or inaccurate, it is merely to highlight a good example of how a house in dense urban jungle can provide a massive positive impact on the environment. With much newer (and cheaper) technology now available than in the late 1990's, MM&F's house is no doubt generating a shit load more solar energy if he's upgraded the system. If so, I would love to see his bills today :)

It should be considered that, whilst they were avoiding the use of over 75,000 litres of water use from the dams, rainfall seems to be more scarce now, so the collection tek may not be as fruitful as it once was. Still, a little bit is better than none at all. And I'm sure the tank's getting a great fill over the last day. (note to non-Sydney residents, its been pissing down for the past 24 hours).

For a family of two adults and two kids who haven't had to make any significant changes to their living regime apart from some wise forethought, Michael Mobbs definitely deserves some respect - Bloody Ripper, Mike.