The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Brunfelsia info

Apart from 1 post I found by tantra on EBA, some bioassay stuff by teo and a decent link by MS Smith there is so little info about this plant on SAB.

So I did some digging.

In South America manacá is respected as an important sacred and medicinal plant - mainly employed by shamans, healers, curanderos, herbal practitioners, and professionals. Due to its sedative effects and toxicity in large dosages, inexperienced non-professionals should refrain from self-treating or freely consuming this plant as a natural remedy; there are some contraindications and drug interactions which should be considered. This plant is best left in the hands of trained professionals (who can obtain the right species from reliable sources), taken only in very small amounts and/or in proper combination with other plants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manacá's main plant chemicals include: aesculetin, alpha-ionone, alpha-terpineol, benzylbenzoate, benzylsalicylate, beta-bisabolene, beta-cyclocitralbrunfelsene, beta-damascenone, beta-eudesmol, beta-safranal, brunfelsene, brunfelsamidine, elemol, 2-ethylfuran, farnesol, farnesyl, geraniol, geranyl hopeanine, ionones, isobutylsalicylate, lavandulal, limonene, linalool, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, manaceine, manacine, mandragorine, methylfurans, methylanisoles, myrcene, myristic acid, n-decane, n-heneicosane, n-heptadecane, n-heptane, n-hexadecane, nerolidol, n-nonadecane, nonanes, n-octane, n-pentacosane, n-pentadecane, neophytadiene, n-tricosane, ocimene, pentadecanoic acid, palmitic acid, pinoresinols, salicylic acid esters, scopoletin, scopolin, and terpinolene.

A 1996 phytochemical study on the aerial parts of manacá revealed it contained such active compounds as benzenoids, terpenes, alkaloids, lactones, and lipids. It is the root, though, that has been used primarily by indigenous peoples throughout the Amazon and by herbalists throughout the world. The root of manacá contains coumarins, alkaloids, lignans and sapogenins. Active constituents include two alkaloids, manaceine and manacine, as well as scopoletin and aesculetin (types of coumarin chemicals). Manaceine and manacine are thought to be responsible for stimulating the lymphatic system, while aesculetin has demonstrated pain-relieving, liver detoxification, and anti-inflammatory activities in laboratory tests. Scopoletin is a well-known phytochemical that has demonstrated analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antitumor, cancer-preventive, antifungal, and antispasmodic activity in many different laboratory experiments. It occurs in significant amounts in manacá.

(NOTE HERE:)

Check one of the older threads by tantra on scopoletin, some detailed info on it there, including one interesting post by friendly mentioning it is active in very low doses (1-2mg maybe microgram even).

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...2&hl=scopoletin

In the Amazon, manacá root is prepared into a tincture with aguardiente (rum) for rheumatism and venereal disease. In Peru (where the local name of the plant is chiricsanango), indigenous peoples apply a decoction of leaves externally for arthritis and rheumatism; they also employ a root decoction for chills. One Amazonian curandero (near Pucallpa, Peru) uses a root tea for adult fevers, arthritis and rheumatism, back pain, common colds, bronchitis, lung disease and tuberculosis, snakebite, and as an enema for kidney disorders and ulcers. Indigenous tribes in the northwest Amazon utilize manacá to increase urination and perspiration in detoxification rituals. They also use it for fever, rheumatism, snakebite, syphilis, and yellow fever. Curanderos and herbal healers along the Amazon River in Ecuador use a root decoction to treat arthritis, rheumatism, colds and flu, uterine pain and cramps, venereal diseases, and to purify the blood - while using a poultice of the leaves as a topical pain-reliever.

Traditional Preparation: One-half cup root decoction 1-2 times daily, or 1-2 ml of a 4:1 tincture twice daily.

All info taken from:

http://www.rain-tree.com/manaca.htm

This info provided as a summary for people researching the plant. More bioassays pending, if you have tried it, post!

Much love.

~apothecary

EDIT: Oh yeah. And a single 1 word post by T on the issue: "Inebriation" :P Care to elaborate? :P:P

Oh yeah. And a single 1 word post by T on the issue: "Inebriation" :P Care to elaborate? :P:P

No :P

Seriously, Brunfelsia was one the first psychoactive herbs I ever tried and the result was so unimpressive at the time that I preferred to get that inebriated feeling via beer or brugmansia at the time. I was also smoking a fair bit of pot in those days.

My interest in herbs and substances was in the search for potent hallucinogens. Brunfelsia did not provide that. At least not at the dosages I was taking. When shroom season came long I forgot all about Brunfelsia. My interest was only rekindled 3 years ago and I now grow a few species.